FOURTH GRADE NEWS
January 14, 2016
We've had a great time celebrating College Week! Remember tomorrow to wear blue, black, and white to share our Plano West spirit!
Thank you to all the students that participated in the 2015-2016 Skaggs Science Fair. The Science Fair projects are awesome! We hope you are able to come view them tomorrow between 8:00 am and 2:00 pm.
Mrs. Geiler would like you to click on this link to see what's going on in the library! https://www.smore.com/v6jc8
Mrs. Blake is in need of more parent volunteers for the Study Buddy program. If you are interested in participating, please see the link below with more information and a sign-up form.
**Please check with your child to see if they are in need of new school supplies. By this time of year, many students have lost markers or the ink is running low, scissors have disappeared along with most of their colored pencils, and folders are falling apart.
Next week is a review week. Students will get to share their theme research project over "The Power of Words" with their classmates. We will be reviewing all of the reading skills from the past 5 weeks and complete a Unit Reading Assessment. The spelling test will also cover all patterns previously studied in this unit. We will start a new expository piece in the continued effort to perfect our expository writing skills.
*Data Analysis Test will be Tuesday, January 19th. Students may use pages 875 and 876 in their Envisions book to review for the test.
After completing our Data Analysis Unit, we will begin Topic 10: Fraction Meanings and Equivalence. Students will learn about the representation of fractional amounts, whether it is a fraction bar, set, or number line. Students will also determine if two given fractions are equivalent, and be able to express a fraction in its simplest form. Students will also apply fraction sense to compare fractions.
Science and Social Studies
Students are going to draw conclusions and describe the successes, problems, and organization of the Republic of Texas. They will also summarize main ideas from a dramatic text. They will learn about the Treaty of Velasco, a treaty that was signed at the end of the war between Texas and Mexico. This treaty ended the Texas Revolution, and Santa Anna agreed to recognize Texas as an independent country.
*Please note that the Social Studies Test will now be on Friday, January 22nd due to the school Spelling Bee on January 20th.
From the Teachers
- Please always send your child with a coat during cold weather. We go outside if the temperature is 40 degrees or above. Also remember to label all of your child's removeable clothing so we may find its owner easily.
- Reading Logs: Skaggs has a new reading program that we would love to encourage your children to participate in. With this reading program, your child will read at home and record the number of minutes that he or she has read each night. At the end of the week, your child can record the number of minutes read for the week on the following web site: http://tinyurl.com/SkaggsReadingLog
- We would like to encourage your child to bring their electronic devices. Electronic devices are being used in all subject areas every day, along with music and art.
- Be a star for our students and write a check to our PTA. See the information below regarding the Skaggs PTA Check Writing Campaign.
- A fourth grade website just for parents! You will find links, important information, and much more. https://sites.google.com/a/pisd.edu/fabulous-fourth-grade-friends/
- 1/15 Parent viewing of Science Fair Projects 8 am to 2 pm, Projects sent home
- 1/18 Martin Luther King Holiday- No School
- 1/20 School Spelling Bee