The FRIDAY Review
September 27, 2019
Happy Anniversary, Spring Hill!
We are still waiting on the all of the data to come in so that we can make good and hard plans, but we know the overall stuff. We have to move our SWD students and increase our math and reading scores, especially our reading scores. Below is a quick list of our school initiatives...How are you doing with them?
- Power Time - Are you ensuring students are reading each morning and writing a summary of their reading? Are you recognizing students that are reading books and putting things in place for those that are not?
- ELA/SCI/SS/Electives - Are you utilizing the Text Structure Strategy and embedding a reading passage per Learning Focused plan? It's great to have a passage, but more importantly are you reviewing with students the purpose of the structure and how it will help them comprehend the text?
- Math - Have you utilized all the strategies presented at the last two PDs in your lesson for writing/summarizing? Be sure that you are bringing these items to planning and embedding in each learning activity.
- STEM - Don't forget that 6th and 7th grade teachers, plus the STEM team must have a STEM PBL in the first nine weeks.
- ENGAGEMENT - The engagement in your class depends on a lot of things...your own excitement, movement, student response, engaging tasks, team work, topic selection, technology, writing/summarizing with a partner, etc. WE DO NOT SIT AND GET at Spring Hill. We are in steep competition with the fast paced world our students live in. Give them an exciting learning opportunity in your classroom.
Please let us know if we can assist in any way. There are some really great things happening at SHMS. Continue to make a difference in your classroom.
From Mrs. Lewis...
- PROGRESS REPORTS- Progress Reports go home on Wed. OCTOBER 2nd - No Exceptions
- Parent-Teacher Conferences - We will be on a 1/2 day schedule on Thursday, October 3rd. See the attached schedule in the email. Lunch will be provided as soon as the students leave campus in the media center. Please ensure that you have a welcoming environment and inform all parents about your communication method.
- PUNISHMENT - Please be reminded that students cannot be punished for not bringing back their progress reports. Parents should be contacted instead.
- 8th Grade - Dr. Hicks from UNCP and his African American Study students will be working with 1/2 our students in the fall and the other half in the spring on poetry. The first visit will be Ocotber 9th, 9am - 11am. Stay tuned for more info.
- AP UPDATE: AP interviews will begin this week. Then there will be 2nd interviews scheduled for the top 2-3. Stay tuned for more info.
- STUDENT MOVES - Please see an administrator if you would like to move a student on your team or from your class. This must be approved first.
- ELECTIVES / CHROMEBOOKS - Please ensure students are taking their Chromebooks to electives each day.
- CHROMEBOOK PERMISSION LINK - This link has been added to the LIVEBINDER LINK above. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qQyoJeDJg8Xl5gxv33pywvkrnHZmMZOzhRsrA1W3_iY/edit?usp=sharing
- SHS HOMECOMING PARADE - Tuesday (Oct 1st in Conference Rm @ 8am) Please plan to meet to see how we can show out as SHMS! Please find coverage for your students.
- EMERGENCY PLANS - They were due Friday, Sept 27. Turn in ASAP if you have not already done so.
- Special VISIT - Secretary Ragan (NC Environmental Science) and Central Office will be on campus from 8:30 - 11:30 on Wednesday, Oct. 2nd. Please remind students to be on their best behavior and ensure instruction is top notch, as usual.
- ISS ASSIGNMENT - Administration can only assign ISS. Teachers MAY NOT use ISS as a bounce, lunch detention or time out, at any time.
- DISMISSAL - Feel free to use your Smartboard to record bus numbers being called. Students can read their book or work on homework until their bus is called. We will need teachers to be responsible for students that miss the bus due from their classroom.
- Custodian Survey - Must be completed by Monday afternoon (9/30) https://forms.gle/9zdUwWMxhivFSptz8
- FACULTY MTG - REQUIRED OCT 7TH Check-In Training / Pierce Benefits
- THIS WEEK: Mrs. Harris will place locks on lockers that do not have locks this week. Unsecured lockers are a safety concern.
- FRIDAY'S PD DAY - Please see Estella's reminder below or the email that was sent this past week. Be sure to take a charged device and your PD Badge.
- Help Needed: We need volunteers to help with the cross country meet on Tuesday, October 10. 1-2 helpers in concessions and 3 scorers are needed. Please go to Sign Up Genius and add your name:) https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0a48aaab2aa4f94-fall
- EC TEACHER MTG - Wednesday, Sept 25 3:45 Pull Out Room in Media Center
- SAFETY: Please make sure you have discussed safety procedures with your students, this includes a lockdown and fire drills. Mrs. Tippett will be meeting with the district safety officer to modify our crisis plan where needed.
- STUDENT SUPPORT SMORE- https://www.smore.com/rb4tf
- PBIS: Remember, when a student is bounced a phone call should be made to the receiving teacher so they are aware that they will be getting a student. Please go over the bounce form with your homeroom (especially 6th grade) so they know what to do.
- COACHES: Please establish a way to communicate with your parents. Be sure to let them know when you arrive at away games and when you leave the location to return to school.
- TEACH on YOUR FEET: Please be up and circulating while teaching. Small group instruction is the only time we should be seated.
- MEDIA CENTER: There are two book companies in the Media Center with displays for teachers to purchase. Please come by and take a look to see if there is anything you're interested in purchasing.
STUDENT CELL PHONES -When a phone is confiscated and submitted to the front office, be sure to make contact with the parent. CAUTION - When confiscated, please ensure that you secure the phone in a locked drawer/cabinet so that it is not damaged/stolen.
- PURCHASES- In the event you need to purchase school related items, you must first see Ms. Audrey for a Purchase Approval form. Mrs. Lewis will then need to sign for approval. Submit the form to Ms. Audrey and then purchase your items. Once the purchases have been made, submit the receipt to Ms. Audrey.
- NON-NEGOTIABLES - (teach on your feet unless you are conducting small group instruction, cell phones away while students are in your care, while on duty and/or during professional meetings, Praise in public - reprimand in private, SHMS is a no yell zone, students should be supervised at ALL times, the Friday Review and all emails will be read in a timely manner)
- September 30- Volleyball @ Sandy Grove
- September 30 - Golf @ Bayonet
October 1- Golf @ Reid Ross
October 2- Progress Reports go home (REQUIRED)
October 3- ½ day for students / Parent-Teacher Conferences 12pm dismissal
October 4- District PD day SHS 8am - 4pm (See details in email)
October 7- Staff Meeting / NC Checkin staff training / Pierce Benefits
October 7 - 6th Grade Author Visit
October 8- Golf @ Deercroft
October 8 - Girl’s Track @ Hoke
October 9- PBIS Wacky Wednesday Raffle
October 9 - Football @ East Hoke
October 10-Cross Country @ Spring Hill
October 14 - SIT Meeting
October 14- Cross Country @ West Hoke
October 15- Girl’s Track @ SHS
October 16 - Chocolate Sales Kickoff Assemblies
October 16- Football @ Sandy Grove
From Estella... C&I
From Estella... C&I
- Emergency Lesson Plans are due to E. Johnson by 9/27.
- Please find the video we watched in PLCs, below. Let's strive to be a Mr. Jensen! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p5286T_kn0
We will work with Common Assessment Data on Tuesday, October 1, 2019
Go Guardian Training Monday, September 30, 2019. Bring student rosters and emails.
October 4 PD
All Non-ELA and non-Social Studies Teachers, EC Teachers, 9-12 PE Teachers, and Student Services Staff will need to sign up for 4 Tech Con Sessions at the link below. First Session is the same for all teachers, "Digging into Digital Data". For sessions 2-4, teachers will need to choose 3 topics of their choice. Please choose early as sessions are capped at 30 people per session.For K-8 PE Teachers, please sign up for only Session 4 for Tech Con.
ELA and Social Studies teachers, who attended C&I week, PLEASE bring your Literacy books.
Tech-Con Sign Up: https://scs.events.idloom.com/falltechcon2019
-All participants should bring a digital device and their PD scan badges. The only way to receive CEU credit is to have your CEU badge.
Instructional Focus for the month of September is Classroom Environment. This should include Annotated EQs, Standards, Vocabulary and if applicable an Anchor Chart
- The tech tool for September is Voki.com. Email Ms. E. Johnson for one on one support, if you need help with Voki. Also, let Ms. E. Johnson know when or if you use the tool.
- Looking for Articles to use in class? Check out New York Times Learner. An awesome site, suggested by Mrs. Lori Locklear (8th Grade EC).
- Link to PLCs this week: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1g6cYkcG18yug6AU-yPunO_gDlh9NQ5QFsFD9dpvMS7o/edit#slide=id.g35ed75ccf_028
- Thank you to call that made 70s night a HUGE success. Many commented that it was our best parent night yet!
- Thank you to Nurse Mears for tracking students to ensure they had their immunizations. We appreciate your help with all of our students and their medical needs!
- Thank you to those staff members that assisted at the Bleinheim/SHMS Football game.
- Thank you to Ms. Audrey, Ms. Janet and Ms. Lynette for your prep work to make our parent night GREAT! You rock!
- Thank you to the following people for leading 70s night sessions...Harris, E. Johnson, Odom, Lynette Gibson, John, Tippett, Walker, Chevalier, Hersey, Bream, and Best! We appreciate your leadership!!!
- Thank to our EC teachers and Mrs. Laws for helping provide services to a student that needs a lot of pull out time! You guys are the best!
- Thank you to Mrs. Laws, Mrs. Harris, Ms. Francis, Mrs. Wriston and Ms. Chevalier for helping select our school rock. We had fun! More to come!
- A big shout out to Dan Hersey for purchasing, stocking and keeping our concessions stands going. We know you work hard to plan and orchestrate our games.
- Thank you to Ms. Amanda and the cafeteria staff for helping put together our salad for Parent Night!
- Kudos to our custodial staff that is doing an outstanding job making our building look its best. We appreciate you, greatly!!!!!