JUNE PARENT UPDATE
Every Child TREASURED - Every Child TRAINED - Every Child TRANSFORMED
Greetings from SCCS!
I hope you've had a great start to your summer. Whenever I ask someone how their summer is going, the most common response is: fast! As we slide further into summer, I hope you are finding time for relaxing, refreshment, and rejuvenation.
As we look forward to 22-23, we can't help but raise our hands in praise to God for His faithfulness during 21-22. As we look back, we have huge cause for celebration and thankfulness:
- We were blessed with near-record enrollment of 517 students.
- Students were able to learn from updated Bible curriculum materials, which have a focus on understanding and defending your faith.
- Life skills were learned through our Trailblazer Time structure, a time at the beginning, middle, and end of the day where students have check-ins, greet each other, practice shaking hands, and more.
- Students participated in field trips, special events, concerts, and learning experiences.
- The Legacy Plan changes received positive support, and we will meet our Legacy Plan giving goals for the first time since 2016.
- The school's largest building project was approved by the SCCS Society and has received positive feedback during donor visits.
- We have strong teacher retention and look forward to fantastic teachers joining our team as well.
- Alternate revenue streams continue to bless the school and continue to provide many families access to Christian education.
- God continues to guide us through a strategic planning process.
- We were able to have a completely "normal" school year.
- And most importantly: Students were able to see and live God's Story in all areas of learning. This is exciting!
THANK YOU for your faithful support of SCCS during the last school year!
This verse continues to roll around in my head: “Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and He will establish your plans.” Proverbs 16:3 Let's keep moving forward with commitment, purpose, unity, and determination into 22-23!
Check out this special issue of the Home Bulletin to learn more about:
- a greeting from Mr. Haan
- class of 2022
- building improvements
- building project update
- new hires
- Tales and Trails
- Outlet 75
- registration/parent-teacher conferences
- SCCS purchasing school supplies
- school safety
- tuition grants/NICSTO/Legacy Plan
Have a great rest of your week!
GREETINGS FROM MR. HAAN
Before I introduce myself, I want to say thank you! Thank you for the opportunity to serve Sioux Center Christian School. Thank you for your commitment to SCCS, Christian education, and the community of believers. Thank you for your role in the “village” of raising children to love and serve the King. My family and I cannot wait to dive into life in Sioux Center, and, in many ways, we already have! I can quickly tell that SCCS is a great school because of the great people.
My name is Brandon Haan, and I will be serving as principal at SCCS. I am grateful for this opportunity to be a part of the Trailblazer team, and I’m very happy to be here. My wife is Jill (Bouma), and she will soon begin working at Dordt University in the Business Office. We have three daughters: Makenna (entering 7th), Jacy (6th), and Addison (3rd). We spend a lot of our free time with athletics, exercising, playing games, and being at the lake. Jill and I are back in the area after having lived in Sioux Falls for ten years, and most recently Prinsburg, Minnesota for six years. We are looking forward to meeting (and re-meeting) many people in the weeks and months ahead.
Building relationships and gathering information will be the top priorities this summer, leading into the beginning of the school year in August. I am thankful for Lisa Mouw who has graciously served SCCS for many years and has set things up very well for me. A few of the things I am really excited about are working with the teachers, developing our middle school, and deepening the vision of SCCS.
CONGRATULATIONS, CLASS OF 2022!
- Continued updates to the west wing: LED lighting, updating the bathrooms by the 7th and 8th grade classrooms, updating adult restrooms
- Updating furniture in several spaces
- Updating Chromebooks and iPads
BUILDING PROJECT UPDATE
We are actively meeting with several school supporters, organizations, and businesses to invite participation in the campaign. Giving toward the project is a bit ahead of what we projected at this point in the year. We praise God for this!
To check out the latest information, head to https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/support/ignite.cfm.
Please continue to hold this endeavor up in prayer!
- Leroy Berentschot - K-4 art, middle school tech, aftercare coordinator
- Brandon Haan - principal
- Annetta de Jong - 7-8 reading
- Tara Dekkers - 4Care specialist
- Brianna Miedema - K-8 music
- Cody Groskreutz - 1-8 PE, director of athletics
- Ashley Keith - line clerk/prep cook
- Abigail Clemens - 1st grade
- Jenny Meyer - nurse
- Dana Morgan - paraprofessional
- Carla Vande Zandschulp - paraprofessional
- Abigail Schescke - paraprofessional
- Seth Swedorski - paraprofessional
- Emma Kabongo - paraprofessional
- Shay Muilenburg - paraprofessional
- Emily Mouw - paraprofessional
- Annemarie Stuit - paraprofessional
- Phil Postma - 7-8 Bible
We praise God for these fantastic people!
The SCCS financial situation remains strong. The end of our fiscal year is July 31, and almost all tuition has already been paid. Thank you for your faithful support of the mission of SCCS!
Legacy Plan giving is also almost completed (you will remember the last several years we were $150,000-$200,000 behind), and the changes to the Legacy Plan are working well.
The safety of our students, faculty, and staff is top priority at SCCS. We value each person and want our learning and working environment to be a place of thriving. Safety leads to thriving.
The faculty and staff at SCCS practice several drills throughout the school year, including fire, tornado, and intruder drills. We are making plans to review our intruder and school shooting protocols with all faculty and staff when we gather in August. Also, we have signed up for a vulnerability assessment, which is a program put in place by Governor Reynolds through the State of Iowa. Trained professionals will be assessing our building and giving us feedback regarding places we can improve to provide more safety. There also will be funding available to make these improvements.
We are also actively working with the Sioux Center Police Department to review our protocols, and they will be providing a review training for our faculty and staff in August. There is also the possibility that we will be trained by state representatives.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out. We want to be as proactive in this area as possible, not to cause fear or anxiety, but to make sure that we are prepared. We have a great team of adults that cares deeply about students!
TALES AND TRAILS SUMMER CAMP
There's still time to sign up for Tales and Trails! This is our 4th year we are offering an educational and FUN summer supervision option for your kids. Half-day and full-day options are available. Summer Camp is open to any children of the community who were 5-11 years of age by June 1. Forms are available outside the TRIP office or online: https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/parents/talestrails.cfm
SAVE THE DATES: REGISTRATION AND PARENT/TEACHER CONFERENCES
Before-school parent/teacher conferences will be held Thursday, August 18. These conferences are an opportunity for you to meet with homeroom teachers so you can get to know them and so they can get to know you and your child. We look forward to it!
NOTE that we will NOT be having parent/teacher conferences the same night as registration (as we have in the past) but will be doing these events two separate nights.
More details will come later this summer.
SCCS PURCHASING SCHOOL SUPPLIES
SPREAD THE WORD!
Do you know of a family that is still looking for a school home or a family whose children aren't quite school age? We would love to meet with them and share more about the mission of SCCS!
Please reach out to Stacy Haarhoff, admissions and development specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Word of mouth is our best advertiser!
TUITION GRANTS/NICSTO/LEGACY PLAN
PANCAKE BREAKFAST RESULTS
On Saturday, June 4, SCCS faculty and staff partnered with Kinsey Elementary faculty and staff to host the annual pancake breakfast. Thank you to Hy-Vee for donating all food and supplies and to the Sioux Center Fire Department for providing the space. Thank you also to Hummingbird Events for donating chair and table rental. We received $1,339 toward the mission of SCCS with this event!
COOK: Sioux Center Christian School is seeking to fill the position of cook in the school lunch program, starting with the 22-23 school year (with an August start date). The person should be hardworking, dependable, able to work as a member of a team, and detail-oriented. All training will be provided by the school. Hours would be between 7:30/8:00 am and 1:30/2:00 pm 4 days per week. This position could also be shared between 2 people. Lunch is a very important part of the school day, and we encourage you to consider how you can make an impact on student learning through the lunch program! Interested candidates should complete the Staff Application and forward to Kelli Van Roekel, director of finance and human resources, (email@example.com). Electronic applications are required. A review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. The application is available on the school website at https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/about/employment.cfm
ADULT CUSTODIAN (FULL OR PART TIME):
We are seeking to fill the role of custodian in a full or part time capacity. The ideal candidate will be someone who:
- Has a heart for God and His kids
- Is equipped to provide daily cleaning tasks, floor refinishing in the summer, and daily floor scrubbing
- Is able to assist with the set up and take down process for school events
- Displays an attention to detail and joy in providing a clean, effective, safe learning space for students
- Has the ability to lift over 50 pounds and perform physically demanding work
- Possesses exceptional decision-making abilities
- Is able to collaborate with other support staff, teachers, and members of the inclusive education team
- Has a servant heart and a passion for Reformed Christian education and faith nurturing
Qualified applicants include those with similar experience in previous positions or the willingness to work hard and learn. Interested candidates should complete the Staff Application and forward to Kelli Van Roekel, director of finance and human resources, (firstname.lastname@example.org). Electronic applications are required. A review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. The application is available on the school website at https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/about/employment.cfm
Sioux Center Christian School offers a play-based, child-care opportunity for 4-years-olds enrolled in preschool called 4Care. There's still room for next year! Head to this site to learn more: https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/admissions/4care.cfm