News from Dr. Holcomb
May is here!
It is hard to believe we are approaching the end of another school year. Students are buzzing around the halls as we get ready to approach our testing blocks, Field day, field trips, etc. The weather is not quite yet cooperating with us so we are still experiencing some chilly days! Please remember that students should continue to have coats to wear outside at recess. We allow students to go outside without a coat when the temperature reaches 60º F.
Thank you for all of your support this school year. I have appreciated partnering with you to provide your students a great learning environment. We have a wonderful Riverside community and we work hard each and every day to continue to build and strengthen that sense of family. We appreciate all that you do at home to support your child in all of their activities.
2019-2020 School Year
We just received news that Riverside has lost its community eligible status for next school year. This means that we will no longer be able to provide free breakfast of lunch for everyone. As a Riverside community we will need to go back to requesting the free and reduced lunch paperwork for those decisions to be made. You will see more information about this in the fall. Paperwork will be able to be accessed in the Riverside Office.
Paying School Fees is Quick and Easy Online
Do you have school fees that need to be paid? Visit www.siouxcityschools.org and click on the “Parents” tab to pay your fees online. On the drop-down menu of the “Parents” tab, you can select either “Pay Curriculum Resource Fees” or “Pay Lunch Balance.” Both links will take you to “My School Bucks” to complete the payment transaction. Payment for curriculum resource fees can be made under the “School Store” by selecting “Categories” and then “Curriculum Fees.”
If you have any questions, please contact our school’s bookkeeper. Thank you.
Free Summer Meal Program for Children
Sioux City, IA – The Sioux City Community School District is once again participating in the Summer Food Service Program. Beginning June 3, 2019 thru July 26, 2019, meals are available Monday -Friday for all children ages 1-18 years without charge. Acceptance and participation requirements for the program and all activities are the same for all regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability, and there will be no discrimination in the course of the meal service. All locations will be closed on July 4. All Breakfast serving times are 7:30 -8:45 a.m. and lunch serving times are 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m., unless otherwise noted.
· Hunt Elementary School at 1114 W. 27th St. serving lunch only.
· Loess Hills Elementary School at 1717 Cassleman St. serving breakfast and lunch.
· Irving Dual Language Elementary School at 901 Floyd Blvd. serving breakfast and lunch.
· Leeds Elementary School at 3919 Jefferson St. serving breakfast and lunch.
· Liberty Elementary School at 1623 Rebecca St. serving breakfast and lunch.
· Morningside STEM Elem at 3601 Bushnell Ave. serving breakfast and lunch.
· Leeds Park Splash Pad at 3810 41st St. serving lunch only. 10:45-11:30a.m. (mobile food truck)
· Spalding Park Environmental Sciences Elem at 4101 Stone Ave. serving breakfast and lunch.
· West High School June 4th thru June 28th. 2001 Cassleman St. serving breakfast and lunch.
· Boys & Girls Home at 2101 Court St. serving lunch only.
· Glendale Baptist Church at 1600 Glendale Blvd. serving lunch only.
· #1 (mobile food bus) June 3rd thru Aug 9th
o Leeds Splash Pad at 3810 41st St serving lunch only 10:30-11:00am (mobile food bus)
o Dale Street Park at 913 15th St serving lunch only 11:15-11:45am (mobile food bus)
o Rosehill Park at 1405 Grandview serving lunch only 12:00-12:15am (mobile food bus)
· #2 (mobile food bus) June 3rd thru Aug 9th
o Children’s Launch Pad at 623 Pearl St. serving lunch only. 10:30-11:15a.m. ( food bus)
o Cone Park Splash Pad at 3800 Line Drive serving lunch only 11:45am-12:30 (food bus)
o Verizon Camp at WiTT serving lunch only 12:45pm-1:15pm. June 10 thru June 28. Monday thru Thursday (mobile food bus)
· St. Luke Lutheran Church at 2039 S. St. Aubin St. serving lunch only.
· Trimble United Methodist Church at 1424 27th St. serving lunch only.
· Midtown Family Center 525 14th st. open June 3 thru Aug 9, 2019 serving lunch and snack. Snack served at 3:00-3:30p.m.
· Martin’s Evergreen Trailer Park 5309 Hwy 75N serving breakfast and lunch.
· Miracle Park Splash Pad 100 Riverside Blvd. serving lunch only.
· Hop-A-Lot fun center at So Hills Mall (Younkers bldg.) serving lunch only.
To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:
http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:
(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or
(3) email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
Iowa Non-Discrimination Statement:
“It is the policy of this CNP provider not to discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or religion in its programs, activities, or employment practices as required by the Iowa Code section 216.6, 216.7, and 216.9. If you have questions or grievances related to compliance with this policy by this CNP Provider, please contact the Iowa Civil Rights Commission, Grimes State Office building, 400 E. 14th St. Des Moines, IA 50319-1004; phone number 515-281-4121, 800-457-4416; website: https://icrc.iowa.gov/.
Social and Emotional Health Screener
Between April 8 and May 24, 2019, your child/children in 4th, 6th, 9th, and 11th grade will be invited to complete a Social and Emotional Health screening. This is a survey that asks students questions about their social and emotional health, family and school safety. If you do not wish to have your student participate in the Social and Emotional Health screening, please complete the PPRA Notice form found online in the District Forms by April 5, 2019.
Attention Parents: Student medication 2018-2019 school year
Student medication and/or medical supplies will be sent home with your child on the last day of school. If you would like to make other arrangements, please contact the school office before the last day of school. Any unused medication that remains at school will be given to the School Resource Officers for proper disposal.
May 2 3:45 Kindness Club
May 6-17 ISASP testing window (New Iowa Assessments)
May 7 5:30 PTO meeting
May 9 5th grade takes tour of WMS
May 14 Preschool Field Day
May 16 5th grade TAG students retreat
May 21 K-5 Field Day (3rd-5th in the AM; K-2 in the PM)
May 29 5th grade to Explorers Game
May 30 Last day for Students
May 11, 2019, Saturday
9am – 4pm
1407 W. 18th St., Sioux City
Basement: linens, books, toys, home décor, kitchen, jewelry, electronics, clothes, shoes,
plants for children, and more!
Outdoors: furniture on lawn
if good weather
Doors open at 9:00 am.
“THIS MATERIAL IS NEITHER ENDORSED NOR SPONSORED BY THE SIOUX CITY COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT.”