The Great Depression
- The stock market crash was one of the main causes of The Great Depression
- President Roosevelt blamed the Great Depression on "unscrupulous money lenders" and a "generation of self seekers"
- The stock market didnt return to how it was before the Great Depression until 1954
- Superman, Dick Tracy, and Flash Gordon comic strips were made to keep children entertained
- "Hoovervilles" were where people who lost their homes would live, they were named after President Herbert Hoover
Franklin D. Roosevelt lead The United States through the Great Depression and World War II. He came into office after the 31st President Herbert Hoover, who was president during part of the great depression. He created the New Deal which helped greatly with the role of the government. He was a central figure during this time. He blamed the economic problem on mostly bankers and financers.
Townsend Proposed Pension Plan - 1933
A letter was sent from Dr. Francis Townsaid which proposed state funded pentions for the elderly so it could boost employment and consumption.
Work Cited - "Depression, Great." The New Book of Knowledge. Grolier Online, 2014. Web. 15 Jan. 2014.