Parent Bulletin: SLCS Elementary
You can translate this newsletter! Just click on "Translate" on the right side of the screen and find your language!
Reminders / Upcoming Events
- Teacher assignments. You should expect a letter to come home next week with the assignment for your child's teacher and homeroom number.
- Supply Dropoff. You can come to the building Thursday, August 18th from 5:00-6:00 to dropoff supplies.
- Kindergarten Orientation. This will be Thursday, August 18th at 6:00. Parents should drop their child off at their classroom and then come to the cafeteria.
- First Day of School. We begin on Monday, August 22nd. Doors open at 7:45 a.m. School begins at 8:00. Dismissal begins at 3:10 p.m.
- Back to School Nights. Back to school nights are as follows: Tuesday, September 6th is K and 1st grade, Wednesday, September 7th is 2nd and 3rd grade, and Thursday, September 8th is 4th-6th grade. All of them begin at 6 p.m.
- CARES Program. If you would like your child to attend before and/or after care this year, please fill out the form online on our school website. Please note that our rates for before and after care have changed for this coming year.
- Calendar. Most of the events for the entire school year are already posted on our website. The website now gives a monthly calendar view for everything. You can find the calendar here.
- Supplies. The supply lists for each grade can be found on the website here.
- Skating Party. Tuesday, August 30th, Home & School is kicking off the year with a skating party!
- Half day on Friday, September 2nd. No school on Monday the 5th for Labor Day.
- Picture Day is Friday, September 16th.
Click to see a one pager with all our big events for the year as of right now.
The oldest part of the building got a huge facelift! We aren't quite done yet, but here's a sneak preview....
New Recess Equipment
Our Home & School funds went to good use this year. We are going to have a Gaga Pit and two of these "Triple Shoot" basketball nets that are great for our younger kids!
Meet the Admin Team!
From Left to Right: David Robinson (Principal), Sarah Bojda (VP, Gr. 4-6), Michelle Stride (VP of Learning Support), Christine Ridgley (VP, K-3)
New Recess Equipment
Committee Sign Ups
We are running two committees this year that we'd love to have parents and guardians be a part of. Links to sign up for a committee, with the details of requirements, are below:
- Safety Committee: This committee meets three times a year to review the safety procedures we have in place for fires, lockdowns, and other emergencies. This committee will meet at 4:00 on September 20th, November 29th, and March 7th. If you are interested in being part of this committee, please sign up here.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee: This is a new committee. It will meet three times a year to gather feedback around the proactive strategies the school is using to make the community culturally inclusive, as well as to review data about issues that are happening in the school and how the administration and staff are responding. This committee will meet three times a year at 4:00 on October 18th, January 10th, and April 18th. If you are interested in being part of this committee, please sign up here.
Lunch/Recess aides work from about 11:00-2:00 each day. We are always in need of more lunch aides, so we encourage you to apply!
Increasing Family Engagement
- Two student exhibitions per grade. Twice a year in every grade, families will be invited into the building to see a project the students have worked on.
- Family Visitors Week. Families will be allowed to come into the building and visit their children's classrooms during the school day for parts of the day during the week of January 22nd.
- A full calendar of Home & School events. Our HSA president, Penny Prue, has really stepped up her game this year!
- Student-Parent reflections every 6 weeks. At home, students will need to fill out a reflection with a parent/guardian every 6 weeks to reflect on their academics and social-emotional progress where they set goals for themselves and figure out how you can support them with achieving the goals.
- Increased and relevant parent workshops. We will be hosting workshops this year on handling social media with your child, developmental stages of children, handling social-emotional issues with your child and more!