One Body in Christ - December 12, 2022
Tomorrow, we will enjoy a Christmas movie in the gym as a school community. We will be watching The Star. Students may enjoy a "Christmas Dress Down" day tomorrow including wearing green/red clothing, Christmas themed clothing, or even pajamas to have a comfy movie experience.
We will start Christmas break with a 1:20 PM dismissal on Thursday afternoon. At this time we plan to offer EDM during our normal hours for Thursday, but we are tracking a possible winter storm for Thursday into the weekend. This storm may effect the hours that we can offer EDM. Please plan to pick your children up as early as possible after dismissal should the weather turn for the worse. We return to school on Monday, January 9th.
On behalf of all of our staff, I wish each of your families a blessed Christmas.
God bless, Janet Abdoulaye
Please pray for the repose of the souls of Jim Beck, husband of Mrs. Beck, and Gil Squiller, father of Mrs. Whitsell, and for the comfort of their families.
In your hands, O Lord,
we humbly entrust our brothers and sisters.
In this life you embraced them with your tender love;
deliver them now from every evil
and bid them eternal rest.
The old order has passed away:
welcome them into paradise,
where there will be no sorrow, no weeping or pain,
but fullness of peace and joy
with your Son and the Holy Spirit
forever and ever.
The Week Ahead...
Tuesday, December 20th
- Christmas Casual Day - students may wear green/red casual clothes, Christmas themed clothes, and/or PJs.
- Afternoon Movie in the Gym - The Star
Wednesday, December 21st
- 2:50 PM Release - EDM until 6:00 PM
- One Body in Christ shirts
Thursday, December 22nd
- School Mass at 8:45 AM; Mass hosted by 1W
- Regular uniform day
- Dismissal at 1:20 PM for Christmas Break; EDM til 6:00 PM
Have a wonderful Christmas! School resumes on Monday, January 9th.
Future Events such as the mass schedule can be found here: https://saintsusannaschool.com/events?page=1
Around Our Classrooms
Third Grade Service
Come join CYO for our annual Bingo Night on January 21, 2023, at Primo Banquet Hall (2615 National Ave. Indianapolis, IN 46227). You must be 21 to attend. The evening includes dinner, beer, wine, soft drinks, snacks and 10 games of Bingo. Register online at CYOARCHINDY.ORG by January 11, 2023. Come have a great time with family and friends while helping support all that CYO has to offer.
Dress Code Reminders
A few gentle reminders about our dress code:
- Shorts are not allowed after fall break. Students may wear these again after Spring Break. Girls should wear plain black, white, or navy leggings under their uniform skirts.
- Uniform shirts are red monogrammed, light blue and white polos. Dark blue polo shirts (excluding the monogrammed middle school shirts) are not part of our dress code.
- As the weather turns colder, students may want to wear an additional layer. Acceptable additions to a uniform polo include:
- A navy or red cardigan or pullover sweater. These cannot have any designs or other colors.
- A navy or red pullover crew-neck sweatshirt. These may be plain or monogrammed through Avon Sports Apparel.
- A plain white short or long-sleeved undershirt.
- All students in K-8 must wear a belt with uniform pants. Uniform pants must have belt loops.
I have included our uniform policy summary at the bottom of this newsletter.
Safe Environment Training
The Archdiocese recently changed their safe environment training provider to Safe Parish, from the previous Safe and Sacred system. In the new system, all volunteers are monitored quarterly. As long as you have a previous background check, your background check will be monitored on an on-going basis and it will not expire after five years as it did in the previous system. All volunteers must be registered in the Safe Parish system before they can volunteer. Instructions for registering and training are in the newsletter each week (see below).
In order to volunteer in our school building during the day or attend field trips as a chaperone, you must have a current safe environment training on file with us. This requirement includes safe environment training and a basic background check through the Archdiocese. The training and background checks are good for five years from the time of completion.
To check your current expiration date, contact Mrs. Carson at firstname.lastname@example.org
To obtain a new training and background check:
- Go to the website www.archindysafeparish.org
- Create an account as this is a new system. Previously the Archdiocese used a system called "Safe and Sacred."
- You will need a passcode in order to create an account. The passcode is Archindy2021
- Complete the background check for school or parish VOLUNTEER and select Saint Susanna as a recipient of your information.
- Complete the training video and questions.
Please allow up to two weeks for this process to be completed.
The service hour tracking form can be found here and a copy will be sent home in the back-to-school packets. We ask that each family complete five service hours this school year. These hours can be completed during school or parish events.
Easy Fund-Raising for Saint Susanna Catholic School!
Box Tops for Education
Here’s how it works:
- Step 1: Download the new Box Tops App (iTunes or Google Play) – it’s free
- Step 2: Create a username and connect it to your child’s school
- Step 3: Scan your grocery store receipt. Items with the new Box Tops label will be automatically credited to your school
Does this mean I should stop sending in my paper Box Tops that I have already clipped? No! Continue to send those to the school!
Kroger Community Rewards
Information on the Kroger Community Rewards program can be found here on their website or under the "rewards" tab in your Kroger app. You will need to search for the exact name of our organization as SAINT SUSANNAS SCHOOL PTP . From there, you can link your Kroger card with our organization and a portion of your spending at Kroger will come to us.
St. Susanna Catholic School's mission is to provide a Christ-centered, quality education that prepares and inspires its students to excel as they progress in their scholastic careers. Based on Catholic teachings, our students and staff exemplify the value of faith, service, love, and respect in all situations and with all people.
Location: 1212 East Main Street, Plainfield, IN, USA