Welcome to the RFC!
June 18, 2019
RFC Welcomes the Class of 2023!
Each year, we look forward to meeting over 600 new faces at the Rockford Freshman Center! Students from both Rockford Middle Schools will join with students from various charter, private, and homeschool programs to create a student body that is unique and special!
There is no doubt that the 9th grade year is an exciting one. Students change so much during this first year of high school, learning to become more responsible and independent each day. Our staff looks forward to supporting the growth of each student throughout the year.
We are excited to see this new group of students in just a couple short months, at our scheduled orientation program. In the meantime, please take a few minutes to review the information and contact us with any remaining questions. Thank you, in advance, for your partnership in the year ahead!
Tom Hosford, Principal
Kelly Amshey, Assistant Principal
Class of 2023 Make Up Orientation - August 19 from 8 a.m. until 12 p.m.
- Attendance is required
- Dress for school photos. All students will have their picture taken for School ID
- Picture orders may be placed in advance through HR Imaging (beginning in August). All families will receive a picture form in the mail prior to orientation. HR Imaging is requesting that you bring your picture form with you to orientation whether or not you will be purchasing pictures.
- After having pictures taken, students will use their ID to check out textbooks
- Optional - students may visit and set up locker
- Optional - students may identify classroom locations
- Optional - students may bring a check to order their yearbook
Student Computers - Important Information
- Students are expected to charge their computers at home every night.
- Students are required to bring their computer and charger to every class unless they have been directed otherwise by their teacher.
In August, you will receive an enrollment verification communication through Family Access, at which time you will be prompted to read and confirm that you've read the technology handbook and to request a school-issued device if your student is not bringing one from home.
For families considering the BYOD option, below are some helpful specifics:
Acceptable devices include:
- Chromebooks (purchased within the last 3 years)
- Windows Laptops (running Windows 10)
- Apple Devices:
- Laptops (purchased within the last 4 years)
- Tablets (including iPad Air or greater, purchased within the last 2 years – Must have attached keyboard)
All devices must meet the following minimum requirements:
- 9.5” diagonal display
- Keyboard (physically attached as wireless keyboards have the frustrating ability to connect to or interfere with other student devices in a room of students).
- Web browser (Chrome, Safari, or Microsoft Internet Explorer– Note that other browsers may create frustration for students while accessing content designed for the “big 3 browsers”)
- WiFi connection capability
School Supply List
In order to be prepared for the beginning of each trimester, parents have asked for help identifying supplies that students will need. This link includes a list of student materials common to each department. Individual classroom teachers may request additional materials. We also recommend an organizational planner for all students.
Electronic Device Policy Update
As a result, the staff at RFC have an agreed upon expectation that cell phones will be secured in locked lockers or in an identified space within the classroom during instructional periods. Additionally, cell phones will not be permitted in hallways, lobbies, restrooms, or common areas during instructional periods. Students will be able to utilize their cell phones before and after school, during passing time and at lunch.
Please make note and discuss this expectation with your student in advance. Thanks!
Athletics at RHS
1. Contact the coach (get contact info from RHS Athletics if you require assistance http://www.rockfordschools.org/athletics/
2. Obtain a sports physical on the appropriate MSHAA form
3. Check out summer camp opportunities through RPS Community Services http://www.rockfordschools.org/community-services/classes-activities
August 12 - RFC Office Reopens
August 13 - Class of 2020 Orientation at RHS 10-12
August 14 - Class of 2023 Orientation at RFC
August 14 - Class of 2021 Orientation at RHS 10-12
August 15 - Class of 2022 Orientation at RHS 10-12
August 19 - Make up Orientation at RFC
August 26 - FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!!!!
August 30 - No School for Students
September 2 - No School for Students
September 4 - Curriculum Night/Open House RFC
October 11 - Early Dismissal for Students (10:55 a.m.)
October 16 - Parent Teacher Conferences 3:30-6:30 p.m.
October 17 - Parent Teacher Conferences 4-7 p.m.
Choir - http://rockfordchoirs.com/
Orchestra - COMING SOON!