Back by Popular Request...
5 Great Mid-Year Check-Up Questions to Ask Your Principals!
1. What is their focus this year for their building/students/teachers? (Does it match your focus for them or their building? Does match your district initiatives?)
2. What is working well? (What practices, strategies, procedures do they have in place that is improving the climate and the learning in the building?)
3. What is not working well? (What is challenging them? How are they going about solving the problem(s)? Are they connecting them to their school improvement goals? Are they working with staff to identify strategies?)
4. How are they collecting student data? (What processes have they put into place for staff to review data, implement interventions, monitor and assess progress?)
5. How are they planning to show evidence for their own evaluation? (How will they demonstrate evidence of student growth? Progress towards school improvement goals? Attendance? Student, parent and staff feedback?) Don't forget about having them use their iPad to document evidence!!
Don't like the questions? Great! Use what you like--throw away the rest. The questions are like a box of chocolates....
Some Discussion Ideas:
- Give them the questions ahead of time and have them come prepared to talk about each
- Talk about the questions and have them discuss with all of the principals in your district (share)
- Have them discuss with other principals then meet with them individually