November 4, 2022
In This Issue...
- A Message from Marcie
- Calendar Alert Next Week
- Parent-Teacher Conference Sign-Up Reminder
- Veteran's Day Event - 11/11
- Other Important Info
- And more...
Don't miss the PTO Spotlight!
- Winter After School Enrichment
- Yearbook Cover Contest
- And much more...
A Message from Marcie
Thanks for a great week, South Park!
Our week started off with excitement as we returned to pre-COVID Halloween celebrations by welcoming families to school for an outdoor Halloween parade. If you were unable to physically attend, we hope you were able to tune into our Livestream to see your children parade in their costumes. The link allows you to rewatch the parade, so feel free to share it with family and friends.
Throughout the week, I heard very positive feedback from our teachers that the majority of our students successfully avoided group costumes this year, which made for a more inclusive Halloween experience for our students. Thanks to our incredible teachers and supportive parents who helped teach our students about ways to prevent exclusion. This small step aligns wonderfully with our school's values that everyone is welcome here.
A reminder that daylight savings time ends this weekend. Don't forget to fall back when you go to sleep tomorrow night!
Enjoy the weekend!
Parent-Teacher Conference Sign-Up Reminder
Parent-Teacher Conference Sign-up is now open. Please click here to access the sign-up links.
Conferences will be held on the evening of Monday, November 21st, and during school hours on Tuesday, November 22nd. Families should indicate whether they plan to attend the conference in person or via Zoom.
We hope that families who choose to travel during the week of Thanksgiving will take advantage of the virtual conference option and sign up for a time slot during our teachers' designated conference times.
It is our practice to host one conference per child, and we ask that children not be present during the conference.
Upcoming Veteran's Day Event on Friday, November 11th
At South Park, we believe strongly in using this school day as an opportunity for students to not only learn about the importance of Veteran's Day but also to recognize the service of veterans who are personally connected to members of the South Park community. Next Friday, our school will host a school-wide assembly at 9:20 a.m. to honor several of these veterans. Families are welcome to turn in virtually.
A Livestream link will be shared next Friday morning.
We are inviting students to wear patriotic colors for the assembly next Friday:
Kindergarten/ 1st/ Pre-K: red
2nd grade/ 4th grade: white
3rd grade/ 5th grade: blue
Other Important Information ⚠️
- All visitors to South Park School MUST bring a valid driver's license or state ID card to the main office before entering into the building. Beginning this year, we will collect IDs during your visit and return it to you as you leave.
- If your child is going to be absent from school, you need to call or email us by 9:00 that morning. ** Call 847-945-5895, ext. 2103 and leave a message OR ** Email Nurse Nora Moskos.
- When parking in our Birchwood parking lot, please remember that our preschoolers are dropped off and picked up by the west end (closest to the school). Sometimes, their parents' cars can block a parked car from exiting for a few minutes. To avoid that, we suggest that you park closer to Birchwood Avenue.
- Please follow our morning procedures, and drop your children off at their regular grade level doors. If you choose to drive through the front circle at arrival, kindly stay in your car when you drop off to help us reduce morning congestion.
- Drop-off is between 8:35-8:45 a.m. Students who arrive after 8:45 a.m. will need to enter through the front door of the school, as all other doors will be locked.
- Dismissal for all Kindy and 1st-grade walkers and car riders will take place at their grade level door. Parents who park in the front circle should wait until 3:10 p.m. to do so.
- Dismissal is at 3:25 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. We dismiss at 2:25 on Wednesdays.
Important Dates 📅
Friday, November 4
- End of 1st Trimester
- Non-Attendance Day (Election Day)
- Report Cards posted to Family Access at 3:00
- School in session
- Evening parent-teacher conferences
- Non-attendance day for students
- Daytime parent-teacher conferences
- Thanksgiving Break - No School
- Winter Break Begins - No School
- Students return from Winter Break
- 5th Grade - Wednesday, January 25 @ 6:30
- 4th Grade - Wednesday, February 15th @ 6:30
- 3rd Grade - Wednesday, March 8th @ 6:30
- 2nd Grade - Wednesday, February 15th @ 5:30
- 1st Grade - Wednesday, March 8th @ 5:30
- Kindergarten - Wednesday, April 26 @ 6:30
UPCOMING COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT OPPORTUNITIES
109 Gives Back Food Drive Is Next Week!
Our 3rd annual Food & Supply Drive benefiting the West Deerfield Township Food Pantry starts on Monday. Collections will be taken at all six schools the week of November 7-11. The food pantry has kindly asked that NO CANS be donated, but they appreciate the items shown below.