Armstrong High School Weekly Update
Week Of March 9, 2015 to March 13, 2015 (Wk26)
"Inspiring Excellence @ 212 Degrees”
- Lesson Plans are non-negotiable – Lesson plans must be submitted weekly using the new RPS format – UBD model – Lesson plans are a clear picture of Teaching and Learning opportunities in your class
- Reminder to all teachers - please ensure that you are using your Daily Attendance Logs to keep documentation of your back up attendance.
- Don't forget to return to Ms. Blount your daily inspirational thought to be read over the announcements. Feel free to submit multiple thoughts of inspiration!
- Implementation of 5-5-5 has begun – Please see Mrs. Carter if you need additional information
Teachers are reminded that Daily Attendance is to be taken in ASPEN within the first 15 minutes of class each period. Additionally, our back up Daily Attendance Log Folders for the 1st Nine Weeks will be distributed tomorrow. Using the Daily Attendance Logs is not an option, it is mandated per the Code of Virginia - § 22.1-259.
"100 and 80" days to make a difference in the lives of our students @ 212 Degrees
If you have not done so already, please complete your Lesson Plan(s) Self-Evaluation that was due last week. By Departments, the links are below:
- Wk26: CTE Self-Evaluation
- Wk26: English Self-Evaluation
- Wk26: ExcEd Self-Evaluation
- Wk26: FineArts Self-Evaluation
- Wk26: Math Self-Evaluation
- Wk26: Military/PE Self-Evaluation
- Wk26: Science
- Wk26: Social Studies
Monday – March 9, 2015
Term Grad - Writing Lock In - Media Center
The following sessions have been assigned to each department with a report out date during March 11th (***Date Change from the 10th*****) extended day hours. I am asking that you view the webinar(s) -- then view it with your department during common planning period and extended day hours (if needed). Each department/rotation group will be responsible for presenting the information (10 minutes each) on March 11th.
Session 1 - Rigorous Curriculum and Instruction - 44 minutes (length of webinar) Math and English
Session 2 - Assessment and Accountability - 25 minutes - Science
Session 3 - Teacher Effectiveness - 26 minutes - History
Session 4 - Student and Family Supports - Counselors - D. Brown - Jackson-Small
Session 5 - Stakeholder Engagement - Mr. Carvalhaes, Ms. Gallo, Ms. Jordan
Session 6 - Leadership Development - 24 minutes - Admin Team
Session 7 - Organization and Structure - 24 minutes - Admin Team
Session 8 - Sustainability - 24 minutes - Admin Team
March 6 - 11 ALL SCHOOLS Second interim reporting period In Student Information System (SIS) Grading available for teacher input.
Corrective Action Plan Meeting at Boushall - select Math and English teachers - 2:45 p.m.
1. Reading and mathematics will continue on Monday, March 9 as scheduled.
2. Reading attendees should bring their lesson plans, or standards to be covered, for the week of March 9.
3. Science and Social Studies CAP sessions will be pushed back to begin on March 23 at Thompson MS.
Tutoring - English
Twilight School - through PLC
Wildcat Indoor Track competes in Day 1 of the State Championship at Liberty University at 12:30 pm.
Tuesday – March 10, 2015
Term Grad - Writing Lock In - Media Center
Back-up Attendance Logs are due to Mr. Carvalhaes by COB
SPED Department Meeting
Tutoring - Math
Twilight School through - PLC
Extended Day - Keep same rotation from last week -
Wildcat Indoor Track competes in Day 2 of the State Championship at 9:30 am.
Wednesday – March 11, 2015
Leadership Meeting - 7:45 a.m. - 8:45 a.m. - Suite 107
ALL SCHOOLS Interim Grade Verification completed in Student Information System (SIS). – IN2 ALL SCHOOLS Interim Report Cards printed on site.
Tutoring - Science
Twilight School through PLC
Each department/rotation group will be responsible for presenting the information on 8 Elements of HIgh School Improvement webinar series (10 or so minutes each) on March 11th.
Wildcat Softball scrimmages Maggie Walker at Maggie Walker at 6:00 pm.
Thursday – March 12, 2015
Report to 2nd and 6th - Lunch will begin for 6th period at 9:45 a.m. - 10:15 a.m. and 2nd lunch will begin at 10:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Half a Day for students - 11:00 a.m. - dismissal
No Extended Day for Teachers
No Tutoring or Twilight School
Teachers return back to school by 3:20 p.m. in preparation for Parent Teacher Conference
March 12 - 13 ALL SCHOOLS Interims distributed during scheduled Parent Teacher Conferences
Parent Teacher Conference - 3:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Friday – March 13, 2015
Report to 1st and 5th - Lunch will begin for 5th period at 9:45 a.m. - 10:15 a.m. and 2nd lunch will begin at 10:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Half a Day for Students - 11:00 a.m. dismissal
Parent Teacher Conference - 12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Saturday – March 14, 2015
Need a quick reminder of what you are supposed to be doing for the Self-Evaluations? Click this button to review the training video!
Although this document has been sent out on multiple occasions, this button has been added so that you can conveniently link to the document when needed.
Button Linking to our Lesson Plan Self-Evaluation Rubric. Questions, Comments, Concerns? Contact your Department Chair, Cluster Administrator, or Principal for support!
Concerns and Updates
- Are your lesson plans updated and outside of your door?
- Lesson Planning training – please sign up for additional support - at http://curriculum.rpstech.org/ and then in the staff portal (intranet) my.rps.ed
- VAAP teachers/team will meet every Tuesday until VAAP submission
- March 14, 2015 Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) SAT and Subject Tests 9-12 --- Guidance Department --
- Mock Writing Test Thursday, March 12th and Friday March 13th
- Technology Enhanced Items Practice - March 18th - 20th
- Early - Writing SOL Test - select students - March 19th and 20th
- Writing SOL Test March 24th - 27th
- The Biometric Health Screening sponsored by Cigna will be held on April 24th from 8:00 am to 12:50 pm for employees who wish to receive a discount in your rate. There is a sign-up sheet on the counter in the main office. Please sign up at your earliest convenience due to limited spacing.
- ALTRIA THEATER - Monday, June 8, 2015 COMMENCEMENT REHEARSALS
- Commencement - Tuesday, June 9, 2015 - 3:00 p.m. Armstrong
- Please be mindful of the students that rotate out of your class with or without a pass. All students must be given a pass to exit your classroom. Hall walkers should not be given an exit ticket out of your room.
- It is imperative that the Faculty and Staff adhere to all due dates and meeting times.
- Make sure student attendance is taken in every class.
- Please make sure you are honoring the 30/30 time frame.
- All teachers are expected to stand at their door during the change of class.
- Please encourage students to move along quickly. We all must communicate the same message to these young people.
- Thank you for all of your hard work!