2021 Summer Edition
Summer is Here!
Although they are not in school this summer, there are many things students can continue during the summer to keep learning. Here are some ideas:
- Build reading and writing into everyday activities (turn on closed captioning on tv, set aside a reading time, write a daily journal of activities, etc.)
- Use math whenever possible (at the store, counting money, cooking with a recipe, etc.)
- Create science activities (plant a garden, watch birds, hands-on activities, etc.)
- Visit area museums and take pictures of local history sites (the dam museum, Rand Park, Nauvoo's history, the Fort in Ft. Madison, etc.)
- Make arts and crafts once a week (origami, free draw, paint, etc.)
- Listen to different kinds of music (jazz, classical, as well as country, pop, rock, etc.)
Click here for Creative Summer Learning Ideas from Scholastic!
Whatever you decide to do with your student, they will appreciate the attention and time spent with you! The more involved you are in their learning over summer, the more ready they will be to begin again in the fall!
Have a very happy summer,
Keokuk Community School District is participating in the Summer Food Service Program. Meals will be provided to all children without charge and are the same for all children regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability, and there will be no discrimination in the course of the meal service. Meals will be provided, at a first come, first serve basis, at the sites and times as follows:
Keokuk Middle School MWF 10:30-11:00am, Jun 2nd-Aug 6th
Hawthorne Elementary MWF 10:30-11:00am, Jun 2nd-Aug 13th
George Washington Elementary School MWF 10:30-11:00am, Jun 2nd-Aug 13th
The Crossing 610 Timea St. MWF 11:10-11:35am June 2nd-Aug 6th
Kilbourne Park 20th & Bank St. MWF 11:50-12:10pm Jun 2nd-Aug 6th
Keokuk Park Apartments Johnson Street Rd MWF 12:30-12:50pm, Jun 2nd-Aug 6th
Hawkeye Village Johnson Street Rd MWF 12:55-1:15pm, Jun 2nd-Aug 6th
Meal service is Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Breakfast and Lunch for Mon-Tues will be provided on Mondays. Breakfast and Lunch for Wed-Thurs will be provided on Wednesdays. Breakfast, lunch and weekend bags will be provided on Fridays.
SUMMER READING PROGRAM @ KPL
Important Information for Next Fall...
- Registration will be available online in late July or at any district building the week of August 9th. There will not be a face to face, one day registration this year. We encourage families to register their students online.
- First Day of School - August 23
- School Time is 7:45 a.m.- 2:45 p.m.
- Every Wednesday will be early out at 12:15 p.m. (for teacher PLCs)
George Washington School
Heather S. Davis, Principal
Every Student...Every Day
Building Tomorrow's Chiefs!