Special Edition Family Newsletter
July 21, 2020
Follow Up to the 7/20/20 KSD Announcement
I hope that everyone has had an opportunity to read/watch the message from Dr. Ulrich that was sent yesterday. While there are still many uncertainties, I know that the Robinson Community will rise to any challenge that we may face through collaboration and support for one another.
I want to reiterate that safety is our top priority for staff and students as we prepare for the return in the fall. We will ensure physical, social & emotional safety for everyone as we plan for each of the options that we may utilize for our return to school.
We are still a little over a month from our return and while it has not yet been determined which option we will utilize, it is important for us to plan for each of the three options. By preparing for all options, it allows us to pivot to another option as health and safety recommendations change.
This year will look very different no matter which option is selected for our return in August. As you are beginning to plan what is best for your family, please reach out with any questions, concerns, or ideas. I truly believe that it takes a village and that we can do this together.
Message from Dr. Ulrich to families- July 20, 2020
Back to School Plans for the 2020-21 School Year
KSD is committed to a safe learning environment for students and staff. Based on the spread of COVID 19 in St. Louis County, we will provide one of the Student Learning Models outlined below. Families may opt into Online Learning for Students, regardless of the Student Learning Model offered by KSD.
To make the most informed decision possible, St. Louis County Department of Health has asked school districts to wait on announcing definitive plans for the upcoming school year. Please understand this is a fluid situation. Even after the final decision, we need to be flexible and prepared to pivot to one of the Student Learning Models, please select the learning model to find out more information about each:
- Every Student, Every Day Modified In-Person Learning
- All Students Blended Learning
- All Students Online Learning
- -Opt into Online Learning for Students-
The entire plan is included on the www.kirkwoodschools.org/back2school web page. We will continue to provide additional details as we continue to plan.
Mark Your Calendars
July 23- 5:00 pm- Join KSD Administration for a webinar- use this link to register
July 23- 7:00 pm- Join KSD Administration for a webinar- use this link to registerJuly 29- 6:15 pm- Join KSD Cabinet and Dr. OH for a Robinson Elementary Power Hour via webinar- this will allow you to ask questions, share concerns and ideas- I will post the link for this in our Sunday newsletter
July 30- Parent Survey from KSD goes out
Week of August 10th- District announces the option for return to school, Welcome Letter and Class Lists will go out
Week of August 17th- Video Class Orientation and Zoom Meet and Greet with Teachers
How can you begin to prepare for the 20-21 school year?
- Have children start practicing wearing a mask. Start with small amounts of mask time, and gradually increase. Let children see parents and other adults wearing a mask, and provide positive incentives and encouragement for wearing a mask and increasing the amount of time a mask is worn.
- Utilize strategies to overcome sensory issues with masks
- Practice proper handwashing
- Provide examples and visual cues for social distancing of three to six feet
- Practice and reinforce proper cough and sneezing etiquette - cough or sneeze into a tissue or your elbow
- Begin talking with your child about returning to school
Support your child’s mental health as they begin to think about returning to school
Visit our school webpage to view the list of supplies your child will need.