Patrick Marsh Middle School Band
This Week in Band at PMMS (April 26-30, 2021)
PLEASE READ - Exciting News!!
We have some exciting news to share with you in this newsletter. In this newsletter you will learn more about the following:
- In-Person Spring Band Concert at PMMS - Wed, May 26
- 6th and 7th Combined Jazz Ensemble - Mondays in May
- New Band Lesson Schedule for final four lessons of the year
In-Person Spring Band Concert - May 26th
How Will It Work?
The bands will set up on the pavement facing the large grass area behind PMMS (see map below). Family members will park in the front parking lot of PMMS and then walk to the back. Family members should plan to bring lawn chairs and/or blankets to sit on. Handicap parking will be available in the "turn around drive" by door #7.
Is It Safe?
Our band musicians will be seated 6 feet apart per PHMDC and SPASD guidelines. This will allow your children to safely perform together unmasked. Audience members are asked to be seated in the lawn area 6 feet apart and masked (individuals from the same family can be closer). Safety is our number one goal. We do have special musician masks and bell covers available to students upon request.
What Will Students Need To Bring?
Band members will need to bring their instruments and band music. This includes percussion, tuba, euphonium, horn, and any player who has a school instrument at home. All school instruments will be collected after the concert so that we can clean, repair and inventory all of the instruments. Students using school instruments and who are continuing in band next year will have a new instrument checked out to them before the end of the school year.
Can "Virtual" and AVID Band Students Participate In The Concert?
YES! We will prepare for the concert both in rehearsals and in lessons. All virtual and AVID students are encouraged to participate in the concert.
Is The Concert Required?
Typically our concerts are required as they are an essential part of the learning process and a natural extension of what we do in the classroom. However, given that we are still in a pandemic and there wasn't much "lead time" regarding the concert date, we will not require participation. We would highly encourage everyone to participate as it will celebrate your children's hard work, determination and perseverance. If you child cannot attend, we would ask that you email to let us know so we can plan ahead.
What Happens If It Rains?
We will hold Thursday, May 27 as our "rain date".
What Time Will Students Need To Arrive?
Band members should be in their seats by 6:45 PM. We will do a short warm-up and then begin the concert promptly at 7:00 PM.
What Should The Students Wear?
There will not be an assigned uniform. Students can wear typical school clothes. Of course, students who have any "band swag" are certainly welcome to show it off!
Combined Spring Jazz Rehearsals To Begin May 3
- With our ability to rehearse outside in person, we plan to do a combined 6th and 7th grade jazz ensemble on Monday afternoons from 2:45-3:45 PM at PMMS in the tent starting May 3rd. We will rehearse for four weeks (May 3, 10, 17, and 24).
- All band students are welcome regardless of instrument or grade level! We will learn the fundamentals of jazz and work on a combined piece together.
- Online students are welcome to join us for these rehearsals using Mr. Gleason's Zoom Link.
- Transportation will not be available after jazz so families will need to make arrangements for their own transportation.
Band Lesson Schedule - Version 9,459.2
- With the pivot to teaching larger cohorts 4 days per week and our ability to teach outside in-person, we have modified the lesson schedule again.
- This will be the final lesson schedule change of the year. We are planning on doing four more weeks of lessons (April 26-May 21).
- The focus of the lessons will be on the current band music in preparation for the concert.
- Due to pairing up students for lessons, we will not complete the lesson summary after each lesson. We will, however, include feedback at the end of the semester.
- Click HERE to see the new schedule or the button below.