August 15, 2021
The Pershing Elementary Newsletter
Good Evening Pershing Families!
Thank you for a great start to the school year! The first two days of school were very busy, but successful school days! It was so wonderful seeing your amazing children already focused on making new friends and learning connections. I know that families, students, and staff were all excited to be back at school, especially with the full day schedule in person. As we begin our first full week of school, I want to share important routines and procedures, which we adjust and update, as needed:
To view this important information with visuals and details, go to:
Arrival Routines and Procedures
- Students may arrive on campus at 7:50a.m. if they are eating breakfast from the cafeteria. We have limited supervision during this time; it is for students eating breakfast only.
- Do not go to classrooms, hallways, or the playground before 8a.m.
- Starting at 8a.m., students may arrive on campus, put backpacks on the hooks next to their classroom, then wait in their line for their teacher to bring them to class at 8:15a.m. Teacher yard duty supervision begins at 8a.m.
- Students may visit politely with their classmates who are nearest them while in line.
- We ask that students please give space to others and spread the line out, extending it further, if needed.
- No dogs are allowed on campus, so please leave furry family members at home.
- We do not have free play time before school. Please do not play on equipment.
- Once the bell rings, teachers bring the students to the classrooms. Parents then leave campus to have a great day!
Dismissal Routines and Procedures
- Kindergarten students for both classes will first dismiss 10 minutes before to the bell near rooms 1 and 2 to parents who arrive walking up to the campus. Only kindergarten parents will meet in this area. If you arrive at campus 5 minutes before the dismissal bell, kindergarten students will be waiting behind the fence in the "Yellow Loading Zone," which is past the multi-purpose room. They will be supervised continuously by their teachers and our instructional assistants. This is the area where students wait for their car ride to arrive.
- First grade students will dismiss next 5 minutes before the bell in the breezeway near the office to meet parents that are walking up. We ask that all other parents allow for first grade parents to move forward to meet students 5 minutes prior to the bell. Students will the be brought to the same "Yellow Loading Zone" behind the fence area for supervision.
- Siblings are asked to meet one another in the student "Yellow Loading Zone" area. Students line up on color-coded dots by grade level. Kindergarten is nearest the fence to the right on the pink dots.
- For student safety, students and parents are not to return to hallways or classrooms without permission and supervision.
- If anyone needs assistance during dismissal, please go to the nearest staff member. We try to all carry a school radio to assist.
- Be sure your child has a clear "go home plan" every single day and that those adults responsible for helping with your plan are all on the same page. Thank you!
Please Label Student Personal Items
Please be sure to label everything with your child's name and room number: lunch boxes, backpacks, inside masks, water bottles, and jackets. When we have a name, we return it quickly! Thank you!
Thank you for your ongoing support and partnership! We are looking forward to a great week of school with your children. If you have any questions, please reach out to our office at 916-979-8076, or just hit "reply" and I will get your email. Thank you!
Mrs. Kendra Shelton
Calendar of Upcoming Events
August 25: Back-to-School Night
6p.m. - TK/Kindergarten through 3rd grades
6:45p.m. - 4th - 6th grades
September 6: Labor Day - NO SCHOOL