- Pottery is one of the oldest activities of human kind.
- The Earliest Pots were hand-built, low fired, undercoated and made from reddish brown clay.
- Some of the oldest forms of pottery were discovered in Japan 12,000 years ago.
- In Mesopotamia between 6000 and 5000 BC, the use of a potter's wheel was used and considered more skilled than hand-building.
- Ceramics arrived in America in the
- 17th century
- You will create a coil pot built on a poki pot.
- The poki bowl will have shallow, sloping sides, and should be no higher than 2 inches.
- A cereal bowl from home is often a good poki.
- You will then use the coil method to take your bowl to a height of at least 6 inches.
Make a pinch pot by pressing your thumb into the center of a ball of clay.
Spin the pinch pot in the palm of your hand after you press your thumb into the clay to help keep it symmetrical.
Roll coils of uniform thickness and attach with slip.
- Be sure to look at your pot from the side to check symmetry.
- Also, look down from the top to be sure the neck and rim are circular.