InTheLoop - Feb 5, 2016
BCS Lumberton's Weekly News - Editor, D. O'Brien
- J. Kamau, Principal
- M. Castellane, Supervisor of Education
- R. McGill, Secretary
BCS Lumberton Boys Basketball Victory vs. Mary Dobbins
Message Board Lumberton Campus
1. The Marking Period 2 Awards Ceremony will be on Monday (February 8) @ 10am in the Cafeteria.
2. Fundraiser for the Student Activity Fund: Candygrams on sale Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday during 9th period. Candy will be delivered on February 11th. Candy grams are 27 points or $2.00 each. Make somebody's (Valentine's) Day!
3. February is Black History Month! The Black History Luncheon is scheduled for February 25th. Stay tuned for Black History trivia and more in the upcoming weeks.
4. Upcoming Basketball Game TODAY (home).
Black History Activities and Luncheon Overview
1. The Black History luncheon will be held on February 25.
2. Students must complete a Black History Project, and attain a score of at least 70% on said project to attend the luncheon.
3. Teachers will create Black History lesson plans so that students may complete these projects for third period on February 4th, 11th and 18th.
4. Miss O'Brien will provide a scoring rubric for said projects. Projects must be completed and turned into Miss O'Brien by February 22nd.
5. Staff attending the luncheon must buy a ticket for $7 each from Ms. Newton or Ms. Lowenthal.
Black History Luncheon Menu
Fried chicken pieces
catfish nuggets and dipping sauce
mac and cheese
black eye peas and rice
garden salad with assorted dressings
assorted rolls and butter
sweet potato pie
black forest cake
chocolate chip cookies
Friendly Reminders on Incident Reporting:
* For Incident reports: In the subject line, include the student's first initial, last name, and date.
* When signing the report, please sign next to the signature box where you type your name.
*Incident reports are legal documents, and have the potential to become court documents. Please remember to do a spelling and grammar check.
*Submit incident reports by 2:30pm.
* Stick to the facts.
*Our suspension list is now on the Message Board. If a student is suspended, teachers will mark the student as absent, and the office will take care of marking it as a suspension.
*ABC Program: Students who wish to cash in their vouchers for fries in Smitty's Café will have to follow the procedure for requesting a meal (i.e. utilizing a voucher, getting approval and scheduling with Ms. Heather in advance).
Challenge and expect more
Your students need to feel like their brains hurt when leaving your class. Sort of like when you work muscles in the gym and you become sore. Make the work rigorous!
Why should the students be interested in this lesson/activity or project? Make connections that are relevant to their lives.
This is being done well @Lumberton. We know that this piece is critical to reaching the diverse and unique population of students we serve.