Sterling Jaguar Journal
It's been wonderful having our students back in full swing! The classrooms are buzzing with productive talk, and students are already learning so much! Thank you for your partnership in so many ways--ensuring your child gets a good night's rest for school, helping them arrive on time and attend consistently, working with us to operate efficiently for arrival and dismissal, and supporting your students at home to strengthen their academic skills. Please continue to work alongside us in all of these ways, and if we can do something for you, please let us know. We value your commitment and partnership!
As you review the newsletter, you'll see some highlights so far this year. You'll also notice the calendar at the bottom. Please review the dates and make note of the dates that students are not in school. Family vacations should be scheduled outside of regular school days so we can continue to stay in compliance with Virginia's mandatory attendance laws. Please also note that our kindergarten, third grade, and students new to Loudoun will participate in the Vision and Hearing Screenings on Monday, October 4. If they have corrective lenses, please ensure they wear them that day. Thank you!
Jennifer Short, Principal
Kindergarten has started their year learning all about shapes! Pictured are a few of our young artists combining basic shapes to make pictures like the author Lois Elhert did in her book, Color Zoo.
Asbestos Management Plan Notification
Sterling Elementary is routinely inspected in accordance with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA). As required by the Commonwealth of Virginia and the EPA, this notification is to inform you that asbestos-containing material (ACM) is present in several locations in our school. The ACM is inspected semi-annually by qualified LCPS personnel to ensure that the material remains in good condition and is not creating an exposure hazard for building occupants. Records of all inspections, response actions, and sampling data are compiled in the school’s Asbestos Management Plan document. This document also indicates the locations where asbestos-containing materials may be present.
The Asbestos Management Plan can be found in the administrative office at the school. In addition, a copy is maintained in the Loudoun County Public Schools Facilities Services Environmental Division offices, located at 741 Miller Drive, Leesburg, Virginia.
In 2020-2021, the following inspections and response actions were performed:
- February 2020 Periodic Visual Surveillance, All Known ACM
- July 2020 Abatement (controlled removal by qualified contractors) of Exterior Decorative Panels from Classrooms 110-115. Performed to allow safe window replacement and exterior finish upgrades.
- August 2020 Periodic Visual Surveillance, All Known ACM
- February 2021 Periodic Visual Surveillance, All Known ACM
- June 2021 Fiber Release Episode Response (confirmatory air sampling and work area control) of Security Vestibule renovation area. Performed following disturbance of undocumented underlying floor tile layer.
- July 2021 Abatement (controlled removal by qualified contractors) of Settled Dusts, Floor Tile Mastic, and Pipe Elbow Insulation from Security Vestibule renovation area. Performed to allow safe completion of renovations to the main office, AP office, clinic, and main vestibule.
- August 2021 Periodic Visual Surveillance, All Known ACM
Please feel free to request additional information about our Asbestos Management Plan, inspection findings, and our plan of action. The document is available for your review during normal office hours.
Interims sent home
Spirit Day: Fun Sock Day
8-9 AM: Family Coffee
2-2:30 PM: K We Are Readers Celebration
Monday, October 4:
8:15-3 PM: Hearing and Vision Screening (Grades K, 3, and new students)--students should bring their glasses for the screening
2-2:30PM: K We Are Readers Celebration rain date
Wednesday, October 6:
International Walk to School Day
Monday, October 11:
Holiday: No School
National School Lunch Week
Tuesday, October 12:
3-4PM: PTA Meeting
Friday, October 15:
Moveable Monday--students follow their Monday schedule
Monday, October 18:
Digital Citizenship Week
Friday, October 22:
School Picture Day
Tuesday, October 26:
6-7:30 PM: Family Science Night
Thursday, October 28:
End of Grading Period
Friday, October 29:
County-wide PD Day: No School for Students