Laburnum Community Connection
Family Edition - January 31, 2021
Tomorrow kicks off Black History Month, which is a celebration of the contributions and accomplishments of the African American community to the United States of America. Although at Laburnum Black History is celebrated and acknowledged 365 days of the year, this is a month where we shine the spotlight a little brighter. Below are some resources that you can utilize to celebrate Black History Month at home.
- The History Behind Black History Month – Teaching Tolerance
- Black History Month Resources – ReadingRockets.org
- 45 Books to Teach Children About Black History – The Culture
Continue reading for important information. There's an opportunity for your child to win a Walmart, Five Below, or McDonald's gift card by entering the PTA sponsored mask contest. Go to the PTA section for more details.
Reminder: Update Your Contact Information in PowerSchool
Update your contact information:
If you are planning for your student to return to our school buildings “in-person” in 2021, please take a few minutes to review your student’s contact information via the web-based version of the HCPS PowerSchool Parent Portal (not available on the PowerSchool app.) In particular, it’s important to ensure that emergency contact information is up-to-date as these individuals will be the only people authorized to pick up your child from school. For step-by-step instructions on how to update your information, use this link: How to Update Your Contact Information.
You will also find the COVID Health Form in the Parent Portal that MUST be completed prior to any student returning to the building.
- February 6, 9:00 AM - 6:30 PM Instructional Packet Pick-Up - Packets will be located at the front of the building in bins. The bins will be labeled by grade level. If your child's grade level bin is empty, we will have someone available until 4:00 to make additional copies.
- See dates above for upcoming awards assemblies.
Happy National School Counseling Week!
If you haven’t already, please check out our new school counseling website! Here you’ll find more information about who we are, our school counseling program, and helpful resources. There, you can also find the individual counseling interest form! This form is for:
- Students interested in meeting with a school counselor
- Parents/guardians interested in having their student meet with a school counselor
- Teachers interested in having their student meet with a school counselor
Check it out here or on Laburnum’s homepage! Thank you for your support in making our school counseling program all that it is! We appreciate YOU!
5th Grade Transition Information
The HCPS Planning Guide 2021-2022 is now online! Please use this resource to find more information about Henrico County Public Schools middle and high school courses and programs. More information on how to complete course requests is coming soon.
• February 2 @ 10:30am: Wilder and Moody Rising 6th Grade Virtual Presentations
• February 15-26: Window for Student/Parent Course Request
• February 15 @ 6pm: Wilder Rising 6th Grade Virtual Orientation (see flyer for more info)
- Please remember to call the school and speak with one of our secretaries to report your child's absence. Calling or messaging your child's teacher will not permit us to excuse the absence. The number to the front office is (804) 228-2720.
- Through our partnership with Horace Mann, we are able to offer a great attendance incentive. Any student with perfect attendance will have his/her name entered into a drawing to win a new bicycle. Please share this with your child.
Thank you to those who joined our PTA General Meeting and Principal Chat last week as well as those who supported our Spirit Week fundraiser!
Join the PTA on February 23 at 5:30 for our next PTA General Meeting and Principal Chat.
Join by Video :meet.google.com/qow-oaod-pdq
Join by Phone:
PIN: 274 316 867#
Don't forget to join our wonderful PTA! The cost is only $5.00 per person. Use the membership link today or stop by the school.
If your child is interested please complete the submission form below:
If the link doesn't work, copy and paste the below URL into your browser:
We also have paper copies of the mask template at the school if you are having difficulty printing.
No Hassle Fund Raising for Laburnum
The Laburnum PTA part of the Kroger Community Rewards Program. Help us raise funds for our school and children by linking your Kroger rewards card to the Laburnum PTA. Go to https://www.kroger.com/i/community/community-rewards to link your rewards card to the Laburnum Elementary PTA.
If you shop on Amazon, you can also support the Laburnum PTA if you use Amazon Smile. AmazonSmile is a simple way for you to support your favorite charitable organization every time you shop, at no cost to you. AmazonSmile is available at smile.amazon.com on your web browser and can be activated in the Amazon Shopping app for iOS and Android phones. When you shop at AmazonSmile, you’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added benefit that AmazonSmile will donate 0.5% of your eligible purchases to the charitable organization of your choice. You can choose from over one million organizations to support.
Follow Us on Social Media