Chandler High Wolf Bytes
School of Champions
September 10, 2018
COACH AGUANO MAKES MAXPREPS TOP 10 LIST
VARSITY FOOTBALL WINS IN NEVADA
Congratulations to the Wolves for defeating Faith Lutheran (NV) 35-21 on Saturday in Nevada as part of the Polynesian Football Classic. In addition, Gunner Maldonado was named Offensive MVP. Great job, Wolves!
NEW YORK FASHION WEEK
Holly Hoogstra, Chandler High School Junior, was in New York this week modeling a designer dress from Janay Deann Designs as part of New York Fashion Week. Holly is an IB student with a 4.7 GPA and is involved in Yearbook and Academic Decathlon.
CHS KICKS OFF CEF GOLF TOURNAMENT
JROTC and the Treblemakers (pictured with Dr. Casteel) kicked off the 17th Annual Chandler Education Foundation Golf Tournament. These groups do a fantastic job of representing CHS!
Last Week's Wins
Badminton def. Mountain Pointe (V 7-2, JV 9-0) and Desert Ridge (V 7-2, JV 6-3)
Varsity Football def. Faith Lutheran 35-21
Football def. Centennial (F 56-14, JV 21-6)
THIS WEEK’S HOME EVENTS
- Mon, Sept 10th: Badminton vs Westwood @ 4 pm
- Tues, Sept 11th: Girls Volleyball vs Mesa: F @ 4 pm, JV @ 5 pm, Varsity @ 6 pm
- Thurs, Sept 13th: Boys Tennis vs Hamilton @ 3:30 pm; Girls Volleyball vs Cibola: F @ 4 pm, JV @ 5 pm, Varsity 6 pm; JV Football vs Liberty @ 6 pm
- Fri, Sept 14th: CHS Fall Festival from 6:30-9:30
VOLLEYBALL PLAYER MAKES ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
Congrats to Taylor Aguano, CHS setter, for being named to the House of Payne All-Tournament Volleyball Team!
AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is an elective, taught at every grade level, that prepares students, many who may be the first in their families to pursue higher education, for college eligibility and success. AVID students are required to enroll in at least one honors level/accelerated course each year and are provided support through student-led tutorials. Last year’s AVID Seniors graduated with a 3.3 average GPA, had 100% acceptance into four-year universities and earned $350,000 in scholarship offers. Additionally, they amassed numerous community service hours at Feed My Starving Children, Boys and Girls Club, and tutoring at CUSD elementary schools. And the group has a lot of fun, as evidenced by the great turnout at last week’s ice cream social hosted by the AVID Club!
The deadline for registering for Dual Enrollment classes is THIS FRIDAY, September 14th. Students are responsible for submitting their own paperwork to the Chandler Gilbert Community College Coyote Center but must have a Chandler High School counselor sign the form prior to submitting.
The deadline for payment is Monday, September 17th and payment is completed online on the CGCC Student Center.
Senior parents, you should be receiving or may have already received a letter in the mail for an appointment for Senior Photos being taken by Lifetouch Prestige Photography Oct. 1st thru the 16th except Sundays. To appear in the 2018-19 yearbook, seniors must have their photos taken at this time. If you have questions, call Lifetouch at 480-296-2880.
PHOTO RETAKES FOR UNDERCLASSMEN
Photo make-ups and retakes will be taken September 18th. Freshmen, sophomores and juniors who have not had a photo taken must have it done on September 18th to appear in the 2018-19 yearbook. Students who had their photos taken will receive packets either Thursday or Friday of this week. If students want a retake they must have the photo packet with them on the 18th.
ROBOTICS SPAGHETTI DINNER
FALL FEST SAVE THE DATE
CHS THEATRE PRESENTS ALICE
CHS Theatre's Production of Alice runs September 18-21. Follow Alice as she escapes her home to find adventure in a topsy-turvy world. Based on Lewis Carroll's classic tale, Alice brings you Wonderland as you've never seen it before. September 18: Special Preview performance with a Mad Tea Party beforehand, complete with fun treats and a character meet and greet. See below for information and tickets. September 19-21 performances are at 7:00pm in the Bogle Theater. Tickets are $8 in the CHS Bookstore or at the door.
CASH FOR CLASSROOMS
The annual Cash for Classrooms campaign is in full swing! Please consider giving what you can to help the Chandler Education Foundation fund enrichment grants to teachers and schools across the district. A record number of teachers have applied for grants that enrich and extend learning, making lessons memorable. Grants are awarded within weeks! Chandler Education Foundation has been a non-profit supporter of CUSD students and staff for over 32 years. Do you prefer to give online? Learn more and give on the Cash for Classrooms website. Thank you for investing in our future!
IB BOOSTER DONATION DRIVE
- The Navy will be presenting in the Career Center on Monday, September 10th. Sign up to receive a pass.
- Students interested in signing up to attend the HBCU College Fair on September 26th, please see Ms. Anderson in the Career Center by September 19th.
All college visits will take place in the CHS College & Career Center, unless otherwise specified. Students should sign up outside of the College & Career Center to attend a presentation. They will receive a pass in class on the day of the presentation.
- Washington University (St. Louis, MO)- Mon, Sept. 17 at 10:30am
- University of North Texas- Wed, Sept. 19 at 7:45am
- U of A- Honors College- Wed, Sept. 19 at 8:30am
- MCC- Thurs, Sept. 27 at 8:30am
- New Mexico State University- Thurs, Sept. 27 at 8:00am
- Case Western Reserve University (Cleveland, OH)- Fri, Sept. 28 at 8:00am
- Tufts University (Medford, MA)- Wed, Oct. 17 at 8:00am
- University of Tampa- Fri, Oct. 19 at 9:45am
- New York University (NYU)- Tues, Oct. 23 at 8:45am
- Azusa Pacific University (CA)- Tues, Oct. 23 at 9:45am
- Whitworth University (Spokane, WA)- Wed, Oct. 24 at 7:45am
- Spelman College (Atlanta, GA)- Wed, Oct. 24 at 8:30am
- Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences (CRAS- Tempe, AZ)- Wed, Oct. 24 at 10:00am
- Washington State University- Thurs, Oct. 25 at 8:30am
- UC Berkeley (CA)- Thurs, Oct. 25 at 9:30am
- U of A- Thurs, Nov. 1 at 8:30am
CHANDLER CARE CENTER THANKSGIVING REGISTRATION
PATHWAY TO GRADUATION
On September 1st the new School Cents Program was launched with some great opportunities for CHS to earn money for our Positive Referral Program!
It’s easy! Between September 1st and March 31st, shop, dine or watch a movie. Log receipts online 24/7 at shoppingpartnership.com/chandler. If you do not need your receipts returned, you may instead drop them in the CHS collection box located on the Upper Level bridge near Barnes & Noble.
This September dine at any Chandler Fashion Center restaurant or eatery to earn CHS Quadruple the normal points!
Visit shopchandlerfashioncenter.com to view your dining and shopping options.