January 10, 2023
Workshop Model: Work Time
- Work Time Explained
- Work Time Example Videos
Work Time Explained
Work Time provides students time to dig in and practice the current learning target. This is the most important part of the workshop and therefore time spent should be adjusted to developmentally appropriate grade-levels (PreK-3rd: 15-30mins, 4th-12th: 30-45mins). This gives students the bulk of the lesson time to work, practice, or apply what has been taught during Direct Instruction.
- Most important component of the Workshop Model
- Connected to content standards modeled during Direct Instruction
- Related to current learning target
- Students working independently, in pairs, or in groups
- Teacher observes and provides feedback and support
- Differentiated student tasks
- Project based
Work Time Example Videos
Independent Work - High School Spanish
Please Note: High structure is needed to have independent work time.
Small Groups & Stations
Please Note: Video calls this guided practice and not Work Time. Notice how students are working independently at stations and some are able to conference in with their teacher.
Table Group Work
Please Note: This is a clip of a longer video that reviews the entire Workshop Model. Notice that the teacher is walking around to give individualized feedback and support.