The Bulldog Buzz!
Week of June 8, 2015
Don't forget to post the Words of the Week!
Kindergarten Orientation & Gr1 Family Night
Monday, June 8th, 9am
- Student Visits - 9:00 AM
- K Parent Orientation - 6:30 PM (Media Center)
- Gr1 Family Night - 7:15 PM
Tuesday, June 9th, 2:45-3:45pm
- Please make every effort to be on time as we will be working on class lists together.
- Please have the pink/gold placement cards prepped prior to the meeting.
Wednesday, June 10th, 9pm
New Street Park
- Rain Date will be Thursday, June 11th
The Curriculum Corner: Embedding Science & Social Studies into Literacy Work Stations
Written by Aileen Castro, 1st Grade
This short video shows multiple ways Science and Social Studies can be reinforced during Literacy Work Stations. Debbie Diller suggests creating a chart that reads “What We’re Learning About”. This Work Station can house Brain Pop activities, classroom museum artifacts, writing extensions, music with lyrics, current events newsletters, Reading Response Journal prompts, Seed Notebook ideas, and more. For more information regarding your Science and Social Studies Work Station/s, please refer to Literacy Work Stations - Making Centers Work, by Debbie Diller (pages 118-121). Don't forget to share some of your bite-sized best practices via social media, email or in the footer of The Buzz!
Modeling purposeful talk during guided reading in Grade 3.
Words to Inspire
Our 3rd Graders had a blast meeting the faculty & administration during this week's 4th Grade Orientation!
News & Notes
- SGO Meetings: We can easily do the calculations for SGO's during the upcoming meetings...no need to worry if you are uncertain of the math! If you PDP's are prepared we can sign off during these meetings as well.
- Just a friendly reminder: Please clear out any classroom items currently kept in the Gr1/Gr2 "storage rooms" as we will need to utilize these spaces to accommodate new programming.
You're the Best...Quotes from the staff!
- Thanks to Kassie, Brian, Nicole, Ed & Mel Storey for inviting the QSAC team into their classrooms!
- A big shout out of congratulations to the retirement party committee. I’m looking forward to a wonderful night. And thank you, too, for everyone who is attending or contributed, and helping our school feel like a second family. It’s a pleasure to come to “work”!
- Shout out to Ed for being so flexible and taking charge. Great Job!
- Puddie & Donna – Thanks for a great PD day! Garden Strong!
- MK – You’re an awesome Literacy Night planning partner!
- 1st grade team….Love your guts!
- To Brian “with an i” thanks for your technology support!
- Thank you Retirement Committee for organizing a celebration for our retirees.
- Thank you to my colleagues for contributing your memories for Mr. Todd’s retirement speech.