The Gribbin Gazette
October 14, 2016
Monday: Send in 10-12 pictures for the students to share with the class.
Friday: Students will read a book aloud to the class and they may bring an item for Show and Tell.
We have been setting goals for reading and math the past couple weeks. We are excited to share our goals with you.
We will be having student-led conferences the next couple weeks. Please be watching for an email of times to sign up for. All conferences will be completed by November 4th.
Red Ribbon Week!!
“The Drug Free Force is With Me”
Monday, October 24 “The Drug Free Force is With Me” Wear Star Wars Shirt
Tuesday, October 25 “Put a CAP on drugs, I will.” Wear a Hat
Wednesday, October 26 “Reach for the Stars and a BRIGHT Future” Wear Neon/Bright Colors
Thursday, October 27 “Goodnight Drugs, Goodnight Dark Side” Wear Pajamas (dress code appropriate)
Friday, October 28 “Don’t go to the Dark Side…Join the BES TEAM” Show BES spirit from head to toe
Friday, October 28 –Red Ribbon Week Pep Rally starting at 2:00.
GCISD Poster Contest
Posters must be on an 11X17 or half of a poster board
Name, grade, and school on back of poster
Turn posters into Mrs. King by Friday, October 21
District winners announced Wednesday, October 26 Public Service Announcement
Entries no longer than 30 seconds
Entries submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, October 25
Winners will be announced Thursday, October 27
*All first place district level winners will be recognized at the November school board meeting.
Classroom Needs for Science:
- Craft sticks
- Pipe cleaners
- Empty tubes from toilet paper and paper towels
- Scotch tape
Thanks so much for your help! :)
Progress Reports/Report Cards
Spelling Focus for the Week:
#9 and #10 are 'High Frequency' Words that second graders are expected to learn. #11 and #12 are review words from the previous week.
You can find them on Spelling City for extra practice athttps://www.spellingcity.com/christinehy/under the list titled "Helpful Caboose 2."
Thanks so much for all your support!
At Home Resources
- Charge iPad nightly
- Have students fill out their Reading Logs in Google Drive after they complete a book! *Remember our goal is to read 1,500 pages this year! :) GCISD READS
- Have students show you their work in their Google Drives
- Practice Spelling (Concept on Spelling City & review the words from the previous weeks!)
- Practice Math Facts- Xtra Math or Flash cards
- Fill out your GCISD Reads reading log in your Google Drive
- Spelling City (Helpful Caboose)
- Word Brain
- Hooda Math (Higher Level Thinking Activities)
- Xtra Math
- Math Flash Cards
- Monster Math
- Clock Master
- Math Vocabulary Cards
October 17th - 21st - CoGat Testing!
October 18th - District Pink Out Day!
October 19th - Unity Day! Wear orange!
October 20th - BES Spirit Night at Kendra Scott!
October 21st - Spirit Day!
October 24th - October 28th - RED RIBBON Week!
October 28th - Pep Rally
November 1st - College Shirt Day!
November 2nd - Garden Club
November 3rd - Early Release!/Student-Led Conferences (if not have already had it)
November 4th - BES Carnival!
November 8th - Book Fair!
November 11th - Veteran's Day Program!
What Will We Learn Next Week??
- Students will be able to write a 3 digit number in word form, standard form, and expanded form.
- Students will be able to compare and order 3 digit numbers.
- Students will be able to locate 3 digit numbers on a number line.
Language Arts (including Social Studies):
- Students will be able to retell and summarize their reading.
- Students will be able to revise drafts by adding or deleting words, phrases, or sentences.
- Students will be able to edit drafts for grammar and punctuation.
- Students will be able to spell words with consonant suffixes.
- None due to CogAT.
Way to go, Carter! Good luck on subtraction!
Readers' Theatre Rocks!
We love doing readers' theatre with friends from other classes during Excel time!
Rakeen Rocked Subtraction!
Wow, congrats, Rakeen! You've mastered 6 second subtraction!