Staff News and Views
Faculty and Staff News October 16, 2017
It's All About MINDSET
He made this statement pretty close to 100 years ago. The phrase "Growth Mindset" did not exist. However, this is what Calvin Coolidge was describing when he made this statement.
Update on hurricane damage
Tuesday: Dance, Middle school sign
Wednesday: Girls VB until 5, Estrella chapel
Thursday: Girls VB until 5, Faith's chapel
Friday: Girls VB until 5, Monthly Mingle 6:30PM. If you haven't rsvp'd yet, please do.
Activities, Extracurriculars, Permission Slips
Things to be aware of and deal with this week
- Map Testing will continue through Wednesday. After that, we will do any makeup tests that need to be done. Learning the ins and outs of administering this test has been a process which I think we know have a much better understanding of. January should be much easier and the kids will be better equip. I will be printing test results and sharing as soon as all of the make-ups and late finishers are done. We will consider this test to be our baseline, however it is clear that some of the students did not take their time and do their best. Hopefully this will improve in January and I hope that when you sit down with students and discuss their test scores with them, they will see the results of rushing.
- Please be communicating with parents about the Trunk or Treat. Get your help lined up. Pick your theme and put it on the googledoc. Get your candy donations lined up.
Trunk or Treat is coming up. Work on your volunteers and your candy donations
The 27th is the end of the quarter. This means that grades will be done on the 31st, in time for parent teacher conferences on the 2nd and 3rd. Grades done by the 31st means that you have inputted all your grades, put in all of your comments in core classes and that you have taken the time to check them over.
Appreciations and Shout Outs
Thank you to Yashiqua for providing leadership to the middle school department during Beverly's absence.
Thank you to Marie, Zena, Myrlene and helpers for picking up the slack during Lisa's absence.
Holy Cross Vision, Mission Statement, Core Values and Beliefs
Any time we have an idea, concern, solution and/or comment, this is the filter through which we should speak. Let's help each other live up to our vision, mission, and beliefs.
Updated - to be discussed today.
Vision Statement: Holy Cross will serve as an example of exemplary Christian education.
Mission Statement: Holy Cross Lutheran School exists to empower students to reach their full potential, walk in faith and to serve others. (do we like the word empower?)
Develop a Growth Mindset.
Strive for personal growth and excellence.
Live a life of faith and service to God and others
Every student, Every day. Whatever it takes.
Motto: Learning in HIS love and care
- Partnerships between students, parents, community members and staff are foundational to educational success.
- Positive school culture and a safe environment foster growth.
- Everyone has inherent value and deserves to be treated with dignity and respect.
- Learning is an active process requiring engaging tasks and engaging minds.
- Relevant and authentic experiences ignite continuous, deeper learning.
- Meaningful relationships enrich learning.
Focus for 2017-2018 ( Keep reviewing)
In order to help every child their personal best, Holy Cross Students and Staff will focus on developing a growth mindset. What does this mean?
In a fixed mindset, people believe that their basic qualities of intelligence or talent are fixed traits. They believe that talent alone creates success. They are wrong.
In a growth mindset, people believe that their most basic abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work. Brains and talent are just the starting point. This view creates a love of learning and a resilience that is necessary for great accomplishments. Instead of thinking, "I can't do that" instead you think, "I can't do that YET".
Teaching a growth mindset creates motivation and productivity. I would encourage you to take the time and do your own reading and research. There are marvelous resources available online including TPT and Pinterest and there are great books written just for teachers and for children of all ages about this topic.
This goes very nicely with our theme, which is Building Champions...through Goals, Growth and Grit. In Philippians 4:13, it states, "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength". We need to instill this belief in our students, that with the help of God and their own hard work and determination, they can learn and will learn.