Blue Morpho Butterfly
By: Amber Bailey
Scientific Name and Habitat
The scientific name of the Blue Morpho Butterfly is Morpho peleides. They live in tropical rain forests of Latin America from Mexico to Columbia.
- They are one of the largest butterflies in the world with wingspans up to 5 to 8 inches.
- They're wings are bright blue, edged with black
- They have 2 fore wings and 2 hind wings
- They have 6 legs
- They have 3 body segments- head, thorax, and abdomen
- These butterflies are herbivores.
- As a caterpillar they eat leaves of many varieties
- As a butterfly it sips fluid out of fruits, fluid out of decomposing animals, fungi, and wet mud.
- These butterflies live only about 115 days from egg to butterfly.
- They have 4 stages of life
- They start they're life in an egg that is pale green
- Then they from into a larva, The larva hatches into a caterpillar that is reddish brown and covered in stinging hairs
- Then it turns into a pupa that hangs from a plant
- Then the pupa hatches a butterfly
- Once the butterfly hatches it only lives about 3 to 4 weeks
- Most active in the bright sun
- Scientists think these butterflies first evolved as many as 65 million years ago
- Adults are perfectly camouflaged when at rest with their wings closed
Go to MVMS
I do compettion cheer for MVMS