Southwood Academy of the Arts
All State Orchestra
Coding is Pentastic
Mr. Cobb, the Digital Integration Specialist, worked with sixth grade math teacher Mrs. Hollingsworth and her classes to create a 3D learning experience. Students learned all about finding the area of composite shapes. Students created their own images using the 3D doodler from individual shapes such as squares and triangles. Using a ruler, students found the area of each individual shape along with the entire composite shape. With a 3D pen students can draw a raised graphic on a piece of paper or any flat surface. But what makes a 3D pen truly unique is its ability to “draw” in mid-air, allowing students to instantly form 3D structures, which students can pick up and hold.
It Is Planting Season in 6th Grade Science
Yearbook Application Time
*Individual shelf milks (do not require refrigeration)
*Individual Juice boxes
*Individual Snack items
Please bring in donations to the cafeteria and place them in the collection bins. Thank you for helping others in need!
A5 Free Internet Information
This 7 page document has many helpful hints and links for Google Classroom, Google Meet, and much more.
AM Drop Off - front of the school 7:30-8:15!
Don't Forget Athletic Shoes for PE Day!
Don't Forget to Wash Your Masks!
Early Dismissal / Appointment Policies
- When you arrive at school, please call the office: 864-260-5205 to let us know you are here to pick up a student for dismissal.
- Make sure to have your license ready and press the buzzer for entrance.
- Once the door is unlocked, be prepared to show your license through the window while you will remain in the foyer. Please DO NOT enter the office area.
- We will have a sign-out sheet in the foyer. Please know that we will get your student to you as quickly as we can.
News from Nurse Rosa
1. Take the temperature of any child demonstrating shortness of breath, loss of taste, sore throat, muscle aches, chills, new or worsening cough, or runny nose.
2. Keep the child at home one or more days to monitor symptoms.
3. If you decide to have a COVID-19 test, notify the school nurse of the results so that the school can implement the Enhanced Health and Safety Protocols in the classroom(s) where your child attended.
*All information will remain confidential between the school and family. No other families will be given the health information of your child.
TDAP: All students are reminded that they must have their Tdap vaccination BEFORE starting 7th grade! Now is the time to schedule an appointment for your 6th grade student. Please submit documentation to Nurse Rosa after immunization.
For any health-related questions, call the office or email Nurse Rosa.
McCants Girls Basketball
If you are interested in playing girls basketball at McCants, please check out the Google Classroom linked below and email Coach Quan Ramsey. Bogodcd is the Google Classroom code in order to join. All announcements and information will be there!
This includes spring and summer workout information and a Google Classroom code for McCants Football.
School Library Week
School Library Week is going to be April 26th-30th! Come to the Media Center to receive prizes or participate in fun activities. Monday is make your own bookmark day, Tuesday you will receive smarties if you check out a book, Wednesday you will have clues to find a photo of Mrs. Spencer's dog, Rally, inside of a book, Thursday there will be riddles and puzzles in the Media Center, and on Friday if you have participated in Read 3 & Review 3 you will be invited to select a freebie.
Read 3 & Review 3
2020-2021 District Calendar
Southwood Academy of the Arts
Eric Chamblee, Associate Principal & Instructional Facilitator
Paula Doolittle, Guidance
Joshua Powell, Arts Lead Teacher
Cheri Gilbert, Secretary