Welcome to Haven Middle School
A Special Newsletter from Principal Latting - January 2023
Hello Rising 6th Grade Families!
My name is Chris Latting and I have been the principal at Haven Middle School since July of 2020. Before coming to D65 I worked as a guest educator, 8th grade science and social studies teacher, K-5 assistant principal and K-5 principal in Joliet Public School District #86. During my three years at Haven I have been able to learn and grow personally and professionally alongside the students, staff, and families in our community. I am excited to get to do the same with you and your students during our time as a Haven family. In fact we would like to start learning a little about you and your child now. We would appreciate you completing our brief survey by 2/28/23.
In this newsletter I have pulled together lots helpful information and links for you to read, reread, and read again at your leisure over the next few months. Please know that we will review all that is shared in this newsletter and more when we have a chance to meet in person later this spring. At this time there is nothing more for you to do other than absorb this information. We will be sharing important dates to add to your calendar later this spring.
Bite Sized Information
- There are 680 students that attend Haven Middle School
- An assistant principal is assigned to each grade level. Grade level assistant principals serve as first points of contact and support for each grade's students, teachers, and families.
- Assistant Principals "loop" with students each year. This means that your child's AP will be with them (and you) for 6th, 7th, and 8th grades.
- Each grade level has its own school counselor and social worker. These teammates also loop with students throughout their middle school experience.
- Haven students have opportunities to engage in extracurricular D65 athletics, intramural sports, and clubs.
- August 23 2023 – First Day of School for Students *SAVE THE DATE
- School Calendar for the 2023-2024 School Year (Grades K-8) *BOOKMARK THIS LINK
Haven's Awesome Assistant Principals Ms. Lopez, Mr. Smith, and Dr. Gildon
Healthy Reminders from the Haven Health Office
Proof of your child receiving the following is needed prior to the first day of school:
Physical exam performed on or after August 23, 2022
Hepatitis B Shots (series of three shots)
Dental Exam performed on or after November 15, 2022
Students who have state insurance, can receive a physical exam and shots free of charge at the School Based Health Center located at ETHS. Physical exams are $12.00 for students who receive free or reduced lunch. Immunizations are $3.00 per shot. Students who have private insurance can receive a physical exam only at full price of $33.00. Please call 847-424-7265 to setup an appointment.
Please email all health documents directly to Ms. Dortch in PDF format to email@example.com.
Can We Tour the School?
Social-Emotional Learning = SEL
The 23-24 school year will be the second year in a row for our utilization of Second Step® Middle School curriculum. This is a research-based social-emotional learning program designed to improve students’ social-emotional skills, such as emotion management, impulse control, problem solving, and empathy. Second Step skills and concepts are designed to help students both in and out of school. These include:
- Mindsets and Goals: Students learn how to develop a growth mindset and apply research based goal-setting strategies to their social and academic lives.
- Recognizing Bullying and Harassment: Students learn how to recognize bullying and harassment, stand up safely to bullying, and respond appropriately to harassment.
- Thoughts, Emotions, and Decisions: Students learn how to recognize strong emotions and unhelpful thoughts, and apply strategies to manage their emotions and reduce stress.
- Managing Relationships and Social Conflict: Students learn strategies for developing and maintaining healthy relationships, perspective-taking, and dealing with conflict.
SY 23-24 = Expanding the AVID program at HAVEN
Alternate Placement Procedures
D65 Alternate Placement Procedures - Overview Link
Please take the time to read through these procedures if you would like to know more about the process for Evaluation for grade skipping. In our district there are five steps. From beginning to end, the process can take about four to five months. If you think your child’s academic needs are not met through grade level instruction, we encourage you to start the process earlier than later. In many cases, the process may lead to improved academic performance within the current grade level. This applies to rising 6th, 7th, and 8th graders for the 23-24 school year.
Summer Learning 2023
Application window for summer learning 2/13/23 through 3/3/23 - I recommend speaking with your child's 5th grade teacher during parent teacher conferences about their recommendations for various options for your child. Please look out for more information from D65 on the programs offered. Please stay tuned!
Resources for Parents
Morning Mug with Principal Latting - Virtual Parent Information Sessions designed to provide information to and absorb information from Haven families. This year I have hosted a few in the mornings when everyone is likely to have their coffee mug. Sessions are recorded and included in subsequent Haven Newsletters for families who were unable to attend synchronously. Below are a few from this school year.
- Morning Mug With Principal Latting & Haven SEL Team
- Morning Mug on NWEA/MAP assessments.
- Morning Mug w/Principal Latting & ETHS New Student Enrollment Partners
Glenbard Parent Series - Navigating Healthy Families
The Glenbard Parent Series (GPS) presents distinguished speakers to inspire, connect and inform with research-based strategies that promote positive youth development. Programs are free and open to the public.
Click here to view the list of upcoming speakers.