Volume 3, Issue 37 - April 25, 2021
A Message from Dr. Lowry
Good Afternoon WoodCreek Family!
This week, I had the privilege to surprise and honor our 2020-2021 WoodCreek Junior High Volunteer of the Year. Although, this year we had limited volunteer opportunities, Michelle has gone above and beyond to find ways to impact out staff, students and our WCJH community. Volunteers and community involvement is an inherent tradition and part of our culture here, and is a big reason why WoodCreek Junior High School is the best. Thank you to everyone is who has supported us this year and congratulations Michelle!
Be sure to read through this week's newsletter as there is lots of great information, including a link to a new Athletics newsletter that holds all of the information you're looking for about summer camps.
Don't miss our Spirit Nights this week - they're a great way to support WCJH while you take the night off from cooking!
We're looking forward to another great WoodCreek week - go Timberwolves!
Dr. Andrew Lowry
WoodCreek Junior High
This Week in Timberwolf Nation
Monday, April 26
- Girls Soccer vs. Seven Lakes JH at KHS
Tuesday, April 27
- Boys Soccer vs. Seven Lakes JH at KHS
- End of Readopoly Reading Challenge
- Band Spirit Night at Chipotle
- Choir Spirit Night at Fajita Pete's
- Early Voting ends for Bond and Board of Trustees Election
Wednesday, April 28
Thursday, April 29
- KHS Color Guard Clinic - 4:15 at WCJH - See below for information
- PTA Spirit Night at Teriyaki Madness
Friday, April 23
- College Spirit Day - Wear your favorite school's gear!
WCJH Volunteer of the Year
Congratulations to Michelle Owens, our 2020-21 Volunteer of the Year!
Michelle is an avid supporter of our Theater Arts, Choir, Athletics, and Watch DOGS programs, and has found away to support them in what was possibly the most difficult year ever. Thank you for your dedication to our staff and students Michelle - we are grateful for everything you've done for our students, parents, and staff!
Michelle will be honored at the district VIPS Movie Night on May 7th at Legacy Stadium. See below for more details about that event and to register to attend!
REMINDER FOR BUS RIDERS
Students are welcome to go home together in the car rider line with a parent. Thank you for your understanding.
BAND SPIRIT NIGHT - APRIL 27TH
CHOIR SPIRIT NIGHT - APRIL 27TH
PTA SPIRIT NIGHT - APRIL 29TH
8TH GRADE CELEBRATION
FINAL EXAM SCHEDULE
SCHOOL SUPPLIES FOR 2021-22
JUNIOR HIGH ALGEBRA PLACEMENT FOR 2021-22
Students who are enrolled in 7th Grade Math KAP or KAP/GT, who make a 70 or better course average for the year, will be enrolled in Algebra I in the eighth grade.
Students who are enrolled in 7th Grade Math KAP or KAP/GT, with a course average of below 70 for the year, wishing to take Algebra I in eighth grade, must register to take the Credit by Exam for Eighth Grade Mathematics. A score of 80% or better is required on the Credit by Exam for eligibility for Algebra I in eighth grade. The deadline for requesting CBE is May 7, 2021 for the July 13-17 testing window.
Letters to parents about this process will be distributed to students on Friday, April 23rd.
Students who are enrolled in 7th grade Academic Mathematics who wish to accelerate their math instruction may take advantage of the district’s Credit by Exam (CBE) process for the 8th grade curriculum. Students must score 80% or better on the CBE to access Algebra I in eighth grade. The deadline for requesting CBE is May 7, 2021 for the July 13-17 testing window.
Contact the counselor for information.
ARE YOU MOVING?
Have you moved or will you be moving? Please complete the attached form to let Mrs. Caffey know if your student’s address needs to be updated or if your student will not be returning to Katy ISD for the 2021-2022 school year.
From the Clinic - Information for Incoming 7th Graders
Please contact the clinic at 281-234-0825 with any questions.
• Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap): Tdap is required for all students entering 7th grade if at least 5 years has lapsed since the last dose of a tetanus containing vaccine (DTap, DPT, DT). If 5 years have not elapsed since the last dose of a tetanus containing vaccine at entry into 7th grade, then this dose will become due as soon as the 5 year interval has passed. Td is acceptable if Tdap is medically contraindicated.
• Meningococcal Vaccine: One dose is required for all students entering 7th grade.
• Varicella Vaccine (chickenpox): Two doses are required, with the first on or after the first birthday and the second dose prior to entry in the 7th grade (unless a parent or physician statement of disease is on file).
VIPS FAMILY MOVIE NIGHT
KATY ISD BOND 2021
SECONDARY KATY SUMMER ACADEMIC TERM (KSAT)
Secondary High School Credit Recovery & Junior High Course Recovery summer registration opened on Monday, April 12. KSAT for credit and course recovery are scheduled from June 7 – July 1, Monday – Thursday.
Beginning April 12, parents may register and elect to take the summer recovery courses virtually with in-person teacher support and remediation. At the time of registration, a student will be prompted to select one of the following in person lab days/times for in person teacher support:
- Monday and Wednesday 8:30 AM – 11:30 AM
- Monday and Wednesday 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- Tuesday and Thursday 8:30 AM – 11:30 AM
- Tuesday and Thursday 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
For more information, please visit the KSAT web page.
Readopoly Reading Challenge
- Readopoly begins January 11th and Ends April 27, 2021. ONLY BOOKS COMPLETED WITHIN THIS TIME WILL COUNT.
- Pick Up a board from the library or you can print one at home.
- Complete the challenge by reading books identified in the spaces of the game board.
- Every time you complete a section of 10, record the title on the space provided and show the library staff to receive your prize. (10-lunch with friend or poster, 20-pick your prize, 30-free ID/Lanyard, 39-Meal voucher to a fast food restaurant).
- Students may bring their boards to the library or email a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org * KVA students can pick up their prizes from 9:30-3:00pm on Fridays (call the library with your name and we will bring out the prize to your vehicle.
- If you read 39 books your name will be entered into the Grand Prize Drawing. Two winners will be drawn for $25.00 dollars, worth of Amazon books.
From the WCJH Counseling Team
Would you like to learn more about the WoodCreek Junior High counseling team? Are you interested in hearing more about the services our counseling department has to offer? Would you like to discover some helpful parenting resources? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you should visit the WCJH Counselor Website by clicking this link or on the picture below: https://woodcreekcounselor.weebly.com/
OTHS STUDY SKILLS CAMP
Summer Study Skills Sessions
Back by popular demand: Tompkins High School will be offering our study skills sessions this summer to incoming freshmen and sophomores. These study skills sessions will help prepare incoming freshmen for the academic challenges of high school. It will also help students prepare for upper-level coursework. Students will also be given a tour of the school.
Freshman/Sophomore Study Skills Camp:
Morning session: 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM
Afternoon session: 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Be on the lookout for the registration link which will be available in early May via Pay N’ Go.
KATY HIGH SCHOOL COLOR GUARD
The Katy High School Color Guard team recently visited some of the WCJH PE classes, and they will be back for a free after school clinic on Thursday, April 29 from 4:15-5:30pm in the WCJH Gym. Everyone is welcome to attend and learn how to spin and toss a flag!
For any 8th graders who are attending Katy HS next year, they will be holding auditions for the 2021-2022 team on May 3-7 from 4:30-6:30pm in the Katy HS Main Commons. Scan the QR code to register and email Katycolorguard@gmail.com if you have any questions!
Free and Reduced Lunch Application
Due to the impact of COVID-19, Katy ISD is providing a free breakfast and lunch to all students through the end of June. However, since the free meal waiver for all students expires on June 30, we want to make sure that students who were eligible for free and reduced meals last school year continue to receive free meals as we continue into the start of the new school year. Student meal eligibility also contributes to additional funding for your child’s campus and the district.
The Free & Reduced Lunch application can be completed in your student’s SchoolCafe account here.
Contact Emails for Smart Restart Questions
Be sure to visit the Katy ISD Smart Restart page often, as the district updates it frequently with the latest information about KVA, In-Person school, Athletics, Fine Arts, Safety Protocols, links to newsletters and more.
Katy Virtual Academy Questions
Special Education Questions
Face to Face Student Health Protocols
All students should complete a daily self-screening for symptoms prior to arriving to school or boarding a school bus.
- All students are provided daily guidance on proper hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette and social distancing.
- All students are required to wear a facial covering upon arrival to school and dismissal, when riding a bus, in hallways, common areas and in classrooms.
- All facial coverings should cover the nose and mouth.
- All students must be up to date with state require immunization compliance.
- All students are provided sanitizing wipes to clean work space before classroom instruction begins.
- All students are encouraged to use hand sanitizer before classroom instruction begins and ends.
- All students are seated with as much separation as feasible during the instructional day.
The PTA plays a vital role in our school - by sponsoring many of our important and fun activities and by supporting our teachers, staff, and students! Even in the midst of the changes we have this year on campus, we rely on our PTA for many things.
Don't miss out on any of it - click here to join the WoodCreek Junior High PTA!
Sign up for Important Updates - Join Remind
Join our remind groups for important text updates.
Mission Statement: WoodCreek Junior High, in partnership with the community, parents, and students, will provide a safe, positive, engaging learning environment that is devoted to empowering each student to become a productive, responsible, respectful citizen while achieving academic excellence.
WCJH Administrative Team
Dr. Andrew Lowry Principal
Tim Chesser Assistant Principal - Student Support
Lauren Merriman Assistant Principal - 6th grade and 8th grade M-Z
Stephanie McDonald Assistant Principal - 7th grade and 8th grade A-L
Jodi Slaughter Counselor - 8th Grade
Brittany Waddell Counselor - 7th Grade
Jessie Clay Counselor - 6th Grade