Tools for Music Class
2017 - 2018
Saving a file
*"SW" stands for the course Songwriting*
Here are a list of extensions I am able to view in a submission:
.WAV, .AIFF, .MP3, .Au, .WMA or .MPEG
.JPG, .JPEG, .TIF, .PNG, .BMP, .RIF and .GIF
.flv, .avi, .mov, .mp4, .ogg, .asf, .m4v or .m4p
If you are trying to submit a file and do not see the extension on here I most likely will not be able to open it. Please contact me if you have questions BEFORE you submit your assignment.
Submitting a File
Submit through Gmail:
Send me your assignment as an attachment through Gmail. In order to do this you will need to be logged into your PALCS Gmail account.
- Click "Compose"
- Add "email@example.com" into the "To:" section
- Write the your Last Name, First Name, and assignment as the "Subject:"
- Write me a little note in the body of the email about why you are submitting through email.
- Click the paperclip icon or "attach".
- Find the file you are trying to submit click "Open"
- Give the file a time to attach. *Larger files will need more time to upload*
- Press "Send"
If you are unsure if the Email went through send me a Moodle message and I will be happy to check right away for you!
Submit through Google Drive
Every student at PALCS is provided with a Google Drive Account. This is great for submitting large files that will not send through PALCSmail. If you would like to play it safe you can send all of your assignments this way that is great! It is super simple once you access the account and you can submit the a link to your assignment easily!
So here are the directions:
- Go to the Gapp tab on your Moodle homepage.
- Your Username and password will be listed on this page.
- Click the Google Drive option.
- You should then be able to access Google Drive
- Click "New" and you are able to add folders, files, docs, sheets, and slides to your Google Drive!
Contact me if you have any questions with either of these!
- Go to: http://vocaroo.com/
- "Click to Record"
- You will have to "Allow" it to use your microphone.
- It will begin recording click "Stop" when you are finished.
- At this point you can "Retry" or "Listen" to your recording.
- When you are happy "Click here to save"
- You will see a link "http://vocaroo.com/...."
- Highlight --> Copy & Paste that link into your Moodle assignment.
- Then submit!!
Find Audacity on your computer. If should be on the desktop or in your program files. If you can not find it contact me or the help desk!
Once Audacity is open, you are ready to record.
- Click the red circle "record"
- When you are finished recording press the Yellow square "Stop"
- You may use the green triangle "Play" to check your recording.
- If you are satisfied "Click File"
- Go to "Export"
- Fill in the proper File Name and hit "Save"
- Just click "Ok" on the next screen.
- It will take a moment to create the file.
- Then you are ready to submit it!
Windows Movie Maker
Windows Movie Maker can be used to video record yourself or just create a Music Video with pictures.
There are currently two types of Windows Movie Maker at PALCS. One for students with Windows XP and the other for students with Windows 7.
If you are unsure which operating system you are running, the best way to discover is by looking at your start menu.
- If you are using Windows XP your bottom left hand corner button will say "Start" and be green.
- If you are running Windows 7 your start button will NOT say "Start" and it will be round and blue.
Once you have found out which system you are using click the video below that pertains to you!
Here are the steps for Windows 7:
- Go to the blue button with the down arrow.
- Find and click "Save Movie"
- Then click "For Computer"
- Give your movie a name and select its location
- Click "Save"
- It will take a moment for the project to save.
- The options to Play, Open Folder or Close will appear.
Here are the steps for Windows XP:
- Go to File.
- Find and click "Save Movie File"
- Then click "My Computer"
- Select "Best Quality"
- Click "Next"
- Your video will take a moment to save.
- Click "Finish"
At this point your movie has been saved correctly for me to view. Please make sure the file you submit to me is has the extension .wav, .mp4, or .MPEG. If you video says .wlmp or .MSWMM I will not be able to view it!