Week 3 , Term 4 2020
Tauranga Primary School Newsletter
Tēnā koutou katoa
Ngā mihi nui, ki a koutou katoa - Warm greetings to you all.
Nau mai, haere mai, a very warm TPS welcome to Ranirose Malcolm-Bowring Singh, Scarlett King and Ruby Maxwell who started recently at our school. We are glad to have you and your family as part of our TPS TEAM.
2020 Parent Survey:
Thank you to the parents who contributed to our 2020 Parent Survey. We received responses from 178 families (52% of our school families). The following is a summary of responses to our annual questions.
- 96% Agree or Strongly Agree that they feel comfortable and welcomed at Tauranga Primary School.
- 93% Agree or Strongly Agree that Tauranga Primary School provides a high-quality education for their children.
- 87% Agree or Strongly Agree that they feel well informed about their child’s progress and achievement.
- 93% Agree or Strongly Agree that Tauranga Primary School provides a safe and nurturing environment for children.
- 73% Agree or Strongly Agree that Tauranga Primary School deals with inappropriate behaviour in an effective and fair manner. Please note 23% of respondents selected neither agree or disagree as they had not had any experience with this. 4% disagreed and 1% strongly disagreed with this statement.
- 82% Agree or Strongly Agree that their culture and the culture of others is valued and recognised in the school community. Please note 26% selected the neither agree or disagree.
There was strong support for our increased hygiene practices to continue, and also strong support for the staggered release times at the end of the day, with parents noting that this has greatly improved the parking, and the efficiency and safety of the afternoon pick ups.
Overall the BOT (Board of Trustees) are happy with the high levels of support for our school procedures and teaching practice.
In 2021 we are predicting (from our current student numbers and enrolment data) that we will have several places available for out of zone Year 2 students (children who are currently in Year 1 for 2020) and New Entrants starting in Term 1. We encourage out of zone families to enrol in our ballot for 2021 if they have a Year 2 or New Entrant student for a Term 1 2021 start. To enrol please contact our school office email@example.com or complete an online enrolment form. Enrolment forms can be found on our school website. The first ballot for Term 1 2021 will be held on Friday 30th October 2020 so new enrolments need to be in quickly.
We will start preparing the school pool for use after the production. If you are a parent of a junior student, it is important that your child can change independently into their togs, dry themselves and change back into their uniform. If your child is not quite there yet, practise will help to develop this essential life skill. You can make it a fun challenge, have a sticker or tick chart for getting dry and into PJs after a bath/shower and for putting on their school uniform in the morning. Offer a reward (incentive) for getting ten stickers/ticks. This doesn't have to cost; it could be making their favourite dinner, a trip to the park/beach, baking a special treat or having friend over to play or playing a game together. Let me know if I can help with a little extra encouragement from school.
As always, thank you for your continued support.
Noho ora mai
THE SPACE PROJECT in association with POLLOCK CRANES
For our upcoming production 'The Space Project: Voyage of the Radiant Scarlett' we need your help.
We need two volunteers to help out behind the scenes with the Powerpoint and spotlight.
The dates you will be required (including rehearsals) are Tuesday 17th November during the day, Wednesday evening 18th November and Thursday 19th November for both the day and evening shows (5:30pm-8:30pm). Training will be provided.
Please notify the school office as soon as possible, if you are able to help - firstname.lastname@example.org
TIckets for our school production are now available via the school shop (Kindo) or at the school office.
Tickets are $15 each
The shows are:
- Wednesday 18th November 6:30pm
- Thursday - 19th November 12:00pm
- Thursday - 19th November 6:30pm
Venue - Bethlehem College Performing Arts Centre
Please note that Room 18 and new entrant students who started in Term 4 will not be part of this production. They will however have the opportunity to watch the show, either a dress rehearsal or the Thursday matinee. If you are unsure of your child's involvement please talk with your child's class teacher.
We are pleased to announce a new Astronaut sponsor - The Tile Warehouse - thank you for your contribution to our school students.
18 Marsh St
07 578 4609
The production will be held in the Performing Arts Centre at Bethlehem College (on Elder Lane off Moffat Road). The evening shows will be held on the 18th and 19th of November. It is essential that all children can perform; please diary these dates now. Parents will need to drop off and pick up children from the venue.
A school production is a considerable undertaking, with significant costs. We are looking for businesses to partner with our school as sponsors for the show. Please contact Fiona Hawes if you are interested in this opportunity.
You can access the show songs online if children want to practise:
GO TO – Login for Scripts & Music
If you would like to partner with TPS as a sponsor/supporter of our production - click on this attachment to view options
As a family you may wish to do something special at school to mark this occasion.
At TPS we have many children with various dietary considerations, therefore please do not send cakes or lollies to school for a birthday. Save these treats for your celebration at home. We will not be able to share cakes or lollies with children, and will ask that you take them home. This can be both awkward and embarrassing for everyone involved.
If you would like to include the school in the celebration of your child's birthday, please donate a book suitable for the school library. This book will be shared with the class and then will be available for borrowing from the school library.
All donated books will have a note added recognising that the book was donated in recognition of your child's birthday.
FOTS (Friends of the School)
The Friends Of The School have several fundraising events this term, including two Frosty Fridays and a Pizza lunch day (see dates in the calendar below). As always we have a small core of helpers but would love a few extra sets of hands to help out. These events usually only involve about one hour of your time. If you are willing to help on any of these days or just have your name added to a list if you are willing to be called on occasionally please contact
- 30th October - Ballot for 2021 classes
- 30th October - FOTS Donut Friday
- 18th November - School Production, Children at Bethlehem College 5:00pm, Show 6:30pm
- 19th November - School Production- Matinee 12.00pm
- 19th November - School Production, Children at Bethlehem College 5:00pm, Show 6:30pm
- 23rd November - Year 6 Wetland discovery day
- 24th November - TIS orientation day (Year 6)
- 24th November - Friends of the School (FOTS) dinner - 6:30pm
- 25th November - Year 2 transition-Parent meeting - 9:00am
- 26th November - Middle School Athletics
- 26th November - Year 5 Camp Waimarino
- 27th November - Year 5 Camp Memorial Park activity day.
- 27th November - Orange Day parade - Feet First and road patrollers
- 27th November - Junior Athletics 10:30am -12:50pm
- 27th November - FOTS Frosty Friday
- 30th November - 4th December - Travel Safe week
- 1st December - NETTS Parent meeting - 6:00pm
- 1st December - BOT meeting - 7:00pm - 8:30pm
- 4th December - FOTS Pizza Lunch
- 7th December - School Awards Assembly - 11:00am -12:00pm
- 7th December - Year 6 Leavers Social Dance - 7:00pm - 9:00pm
- 8th December - Year 6 Leavers assembly - 11:00am
- 9th - 11th December - Year 6 Camp Totara Springs
- 10th and 11th December - Year 5 Discovery Days
- 11th December - FOTS Frosty Friday
- 14th December - Last day for school instruction 2020 ( School finishes at 12:00 noon)
COMMUNITY NOTICE BOARD
Celeste Dance is offering Pre-school/After school dance classes, for girls and boys in Term 4 2020; Performance Level (Jazz, with fun Musical Theatre and Lyrical), Contemporary, Hip Hop. Using DanceNZmade syllabi, that celebrates classwork with interactive presentations & Stage Star Awards. Adult classes avail. Classes local, depending on numbers. Ph 021 0841 0697. NEW PRICES $90 per term (pre-school 30 min class); $125 (Lev 1, 45 mins) $145 (Lev 2+, 60 mins) Sample classes available on Facebook! Please contact Ph 021 0841 0697,
07 578 6222
Junior Team Leader
Middle Team Leader
Senior Team Leader
International Student enquiries
Office Administrator and Enrolment Officer