Mrs. Pugh's News
September 19, 2016
Students learn about what's growing in our garden!
Learning about Matter
Hands on property exploration
Ice Cream Social
Fun and Friends at Friday's Ice Cream Social. Thank you to our amazing PTA!!
Stay up to date!
Dear Parents and Loved Ones at Home,
It was great to see those of you who were able to make it out to the Ice Cream Social on Friday! Judging from the crowds, I would say it was a smashing success. Quick reminder that 2nd grade homework is posted on the 2nd grade website--should you ever miss a Friday or forget your homework at school.
Thanks for all you do!
Lots of Love,
Mrs. Walsh keeps our 2nd grade website updated with all the information you need to keep your kiddo on the right track. Please check back weekly to keep up to date on important classroom happenings.
Here You Can Find...
- Join Remind 101 @dwe2r (for 2nd grade) or @cb649c (for Mrs. Pugh's)
- Join our Twitter Page @2ndDWE
- See what we are doing in the classroom for the week
- Find homework menus
- Websites for extra practice
- important dates ……and lots more
Full Swing in Second Grade!
In Word Study: Students are participating in a weekly cycle of word study. In addition to practice with speed sorts and blind sorts, students get hands on practice with their words each day.
Monday: Direct teach lesson on their sort.
Tuesday: Students independently sort and then write their sort
Wednesday: Students add new word wall words to their personal dictionary and practice by writing each word in a complete sentence.
Thursday: Students Cover/ Write/ and Check their ability to spell their words.
Friday: Students take their assessment
This week's Word Wall Words: there, because, are, & you
In Writing we are continuing to utilize the writing process. We will practice generating and collecting ideas that inspire us as writers. From the books that we read, to our personal experiences that have left a lasting impact, we will collect our ideas in a variety of methods. These will serve us well throughout the year as we develop the author within us.
In Reading we will practice our ability to visualize. We will learn how good readers use visualization and their schema to better understand the stories we read. We will read a works by Patricia Polacco, one of my most favorite authors. Her use of figurative language makes for lively classroom discussions. We will explore how authors engage our 5 senses through their choice of words and explore how reading works such as this can help us to develop as writers as well.
In Math we will us our understanding of place value to order and compare numbers. We will also begin to graph our progress in math fact fluency. These graphs will be kept in your kiddo's daily folders for review. Students should be able to access their prodigy and xtramath accounts by now. If you are still having trouble, please contact me.
In Science we are exploring matter. So, ask your kiddos "what's the matter?" and they should answer "Everything is Matter!"
Dates to Remember:
- Friday, September 30 - Caps for the Cure: Caps for the Cure Information Click Here ($1.00 to wear a cap to school today to help support childhood diabetes research)
- Friday, September 30 - Monthly Reading, Writing, Math Homework is due. (Click here if you have misplaced your Monthly Homework Sheet.)
- Wednesday, October 5 - International Walk to School Day!
- Wednesday, October 5 - Career Day (Information to come soon!)
- Wednesday, October 5 - Early Release at 12:00
- Friday, October 7 - Fall Individual Picture Day (SMILE!!)
- Monday, October 10 - Holiday for Students (Columbus Day)