How to Reduce Resistance to Change
What is Organization Change?
- Allow employees to actively participate in the change
- Take suggestions from employees
- Give regular feedback to employees
Support & Commitment
- Top-level management needs to show support and commitment to the change
- A perception of a lack of enthusiasm, support, or commitment will result in resistance
- Encourage employees that change is beneficial to the growth of the company and to individual employees
- Discuss impact of resisting the change
Convenience V. Inconvenience
If an inconvenience is perceived, then employees will resist change
- Decrease inconveniences
- Support change as a way to simplify job tasks
Lawrence, P. R. (1969). How to deal with resistance to change. Harvard Business Review. Retrieved from https://hbr.org/1969/01/how-to-deal-with-resistance-to-change
Muchinsky, P. M. (2012). Psychology applied to work (10th ed.). Summerfield, NC: Hypergraphic Press, Inc.