IMLEA Monday Minute
Sept. 14, 2020 Indiana Middle Level Education Association
Saddened by Empty Seats? Give Them Personality--Literally!
Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month and Nature, Together!
Experience the vibrant culture that connects humans to the fall migration of the monarch as the butterflies travel south from Canada to Mexico. In Mexico, the monarchs arrive just in time for the Day of the Dead celebration.
The 3rd annual Festival de la Monarca hails from East Chicago, Indiana and is going virtual this year. Invite your class, your friends, and your family to join this celebration to learn about these amazing butterflies, what they need to survive, and how people can help them thrive. One festival event is a live presentation with conservationists in Mexico, en Espanol!
There is no cost to participate, though registration is required. Most events are in the evening, September 14-19. Thank you to Melissa Moran from The Nature Conservancy for sharing this.
Edgewood Teachers Get Creative to Keep Students Engaged
AMLE Webinar Recording: "Becoming a Middle School Teacher During COVID"
6 Classroom Strategies that Work for Generating Student Discussions Online - MindShift
Being physically apart can make lively discussions more challenging, but giving students the time, questions and confidence to engage with classmates can help them have meaningful conversations online.
7 Ways to Rethink Digital Assignments (in a Post-COVID World) | Shake Up Learning
If you want to transition your classroom to an online or blended environment, you must rethink traditional assignments and how you use technology. In this post, I share 7 Ways to Rethink Digital Assignments in a Post-COVID World.
Conference Updates: We're All Virtual!
Don't forget that registration is open for AMLE's national conference, October 23-25 (Access to some features will actually begin on October 16.) All sessions will be recorded. You can find the keynote and featured speakers listed on the site; more details about other sessions are still being added.
AMLE will be selecting one student to be their social media influencer at AMLE20, Oct 23-25, 2020. The student influencer will add their voice to the conference by creating social media videos, posts, and conversations and will receive a wealth of knowledge on social media as a career field and benefits including:
- Training how to safely and effectively use social media from experts including Sprout Social (one of the largest social media companies in the country) and current Social Media Influencers
- A professional social media set up
- A video package that can be used in future college applications
- A lot of fun, a little fame and some great skills to take with them
Students can submit applications to: http://students.amle.org/influencer-contest/
Applications are due by September 30.
DOE Book Study: The Perfect Blend
Teachers First Book Club
Remote (or in Person) Fun!
Virtual StickTogether Stickerboard
The Virtual StickTogether Stickerboard experience is FREE for a few weeks! The $5 Discount will automatically be applied at checkout. After you make your purchase, you will receive a separate CREATE YOUR STICKERBOARD email with instructions for setting up your personal Stickerboard. From there you can select an image
The Mind Reader
Highlights included in this INSPIRE3 Update 9/14/20. Thank You for sharing this Update with your staff and colleagues as these resources are beneficial in service-learning planning for in-school and/or virtual instruction for the 20-21 school year.
- NEW LTG Teaching Social Justice and Building Remote Community - Social Justice resource guides, organized by grade spans for elementary, middle and high school students,
- LTG’s newest literature guides that feature diverse perspectives and help teach generosity, social awareness, and respect for others.
- Five Activity Guides that define the core competencies of SEL as they relate to youth finding their personal and collective role in community.
- New- Your Voice, Your Vote – LTG K-12 Voting and Civic Engagement Resources
- Content area PowerPoints that connect Virtual Learning with Service Learning
- Peace/Kindness Spotlight on Service-Learning Articles with service-learning experiences from Indiana Schools
- Planning for 20-21 - LTG Calendar
- LTG September Themes and Lessons: Citizenship/Constitution Day (9/17)
- Upcoming LTG October Themes and Lessons
- LTG Youth Activities Page– Simple Safe Service Projects; Literature Guides; Youth Group Facilitator Guide; Video Discussion Guides
- generationOn website free service/service-learning resources for teachers, students, and parents
- INPSIRE3 mini-grants available for 1st semester of 20-21
- Visit our INSPIRE3 page on the IMLEA website HERE or the IASP website HERE and Connect
- INSPIRE3 Program Update
- Contact information for free assistance
- Thank You Very Much for sharing our updates and web page with your staff and colleagues
Learning Opportunities & Recognitions (all times listed are EDT)
September 14-18: Indiana Digital Citizenship Week, #INDigCitWeek
September 15-October 15: Hispanic Heritage Month
September 15: DOE Webinar on Digital Citizenship, 7 pm
September 16: Donor's Choose Match Day
September 17: Constitution Day
September 17: Free CIESC Webinar, Grades 5-8 Virtual & Hybrid Learning Panel, 4 pm
September 17: DOE eLearning Lab: Supporting Student Wellness and Safety in a Virtual World (EVERFI), 4 pm
September 21: John Hattie Webinar: 10 Mindframes for Leaders, 6:30 pm
September 22:Using the Science of Learning to Elevate How We Teach and How Students Learn, 4 pm
September 23 (& 30): Free webinar with Dr. Lori Desautels via CIESC/Keep Indiana Learning, "Resiliency Through The Adversity: Our Brains And Bodies Respond When The Conditions Of Safety And Connection Are Present," 9-10:30 am
September 23: Edsurge Webinar, "How to Move from Reactive to Proactive Virtual Learning," 2 pm
September 25: The Emergency Home Learning (and More) Summit Begins
September 25: IMLEA Board Meeting (Zoom)
October 6: Robert Kaplinsky Webinar: Why We Should Reconsider Using Worksheets (And What We Should Be Doing Instead), (Esp good for math) 5 pm
October 23-25: AMLE Virtual Conference
November 2 : Lilly Creativity Grant Applications Due
2021: IMLEA Conference-Now Virtual!
Global CUE (Mainly Microsoft) (ongoing)
That's All for Now!
We don't want to overload you, but want to share some of the best things we've found on the web. Feel free to send us your successes and ideas!
You can access past Monday Minutes via this link on our webpage, and you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter; we will be posting there more frequently. Principals and others: Feel free to forward this newsletter to your staff, and email us at any time.
Indiana Middle Level Education Association
Location: 11025 East 25th Street, Indianapolis, IN, USA