Message from Mission Control
* We originally scheduled a staff meeting for this afternoon, but I am postponing that until after break. I was going to speak to you about the topic of voting, which Dr. Chadwell had addressed to administrators at our last meeting. However, Dr. Chadwell is planning to make campus visits to give the talk himself, so I'm going to hold off, so you can hear the message from him personally. Once I have that date set, I will let you know, and it will be a meeting that all employees should attend. Stay tuned...
* This Friday morning, Bobby and I will treat everyone to a pancake breakfast in the lounge! Please stop by and get some pancakes and juice to give you a "pick me up" for the final FULL Friday before break!!
* As our gift to you, we will be offering you an extended lunch that you can take with your team, and your classes will be covered. We will get you those days and times either today or tomorrow, so you can plan accordingly! We are planning to offer each team their lunch time plus an additional 45 minutes to go and eat off campus with your teams. We appreciate you all so much, and we want you to have fun socializing without being rushed!!
* Thank you to 3rd and 2nd grade for completing the employee surveys! They have gotten their jeans passes! Don't forget to let me know once your team has completed the survey, and each person will be issued a pass! Thanks SO much for your participation!!
* We want to welcome Brandy Joyner to our Elkins family as the new cafeteria manager. She is replacing Kristy Olivas, who went to Saginaw HS as their manager. Brandy has experience being a cafeteria manager, and was the manager at Saginaw Elementary for several years before changing districts and now came back to EMS! We are excited to have her expertise and outgoing personality join our Elkins team! Make sure to make her feel welcome and introduce yourselves to her as you go into the cafeteria for lunch!
* Literacy Night is tomorrow. Thank you to Ashley and everyone who has worked to plan the event. Shout out to Vicki and all of the specials teachers for their work with 2nd grade. I hear them practicing each day, and they sound great! The performances start at 5:30, and In-N-Out tickets will start being passed out at 5:00. We will have tables in the hallways for seating, as well as chairs and tables in the cafeteria as well. We are excited about this event! The kids always have a great time! Shout out to Laura Lee for finding us a Santa!! My dad has "retired" his Santa days, so we are so thankful she found someone to take his place!
* Just a reminder to make sure to pay your $20 for the staff Christmas painting party if you are participating. Thanks so much to Kelly and the Sunshine Committee for organizing the event! It sounds so fun and something different that we haven't done before!
* Next Friday is early release, so the holiday parties will begin at 10:50. As usual, if you have parents coming to help set up and need them in your rooms before that time, make sure to let us know. We won't let parents go down to rooms before the start time unless we have heard from you.
* Our spelling bee is this Wednesday for 2nd-5th grade at 8:30. We will need to begin promptly at 8:30, so students will be called down beginning around 8:15. Please remind students that they must remain quiet and not talk at all until prompted for the applause at the end of each round. Because of having to sit and be quiet for so long, just 2nd-5th grade students will attend.
* On Wednesday, December 13th, the district is hosting the annual Holiday Open House. This is always a great event. I encourage each of you to stop by during your conference time! It has great food and performances all day by various district choirs/bands. It takes place at the EMS board room!
* Please remember to let me know if you are interested in attending the PLC conference this summer (June). It's in Fort Worth, so its a GREAT opportunity to send teachers without the expense of hotel, travel, etc. If you have not attended a PLC conference (or even if you have but would like to go again), I HIGHLY encourage you go! It's a great one!
This year, we will be implementing our GE life principles during announcements, as well as having the opportunity for kids to respond using the white interactive papers in the hallway (formerly used for vocabulary).
Each life principle will be talked about during a 1 week period. You will be getting the schedule sent this week, and it will also be posted on the One Note staff portal. We will discuss on announcements, and students will have the opportunity to write (or draw) how they show this life principle. For example, the first one is self discipline. They can write on the paper how they show or can use self discipline. This will require thinking and application... so it brings in the higher levels. We will talk about the expectations of how this will be used on the announcements, so the students are familiar with what is acceptable.
Just as the vocabulary has been done in the past, the life principles will remain posted on the wall, so that the students can see them and refer back to them. The Elk of the Month will be chosen based on the life principles that have been discussed for the month. Each student chosen will not have to demonstrate ALL of the life principles, but one or more.
This week, our life principle is:
Friendship- caring for and trusting others
DATES TO REMEMBER
Monday, December 4th:
Lisa Dunn on campus for walkthroughs @ 10:00
Tuesday, December 5th:
Literacy Night @ 5:30 & 2nd grade/Hoofbeats performance
Wednesday, December 6th:
Spelling Bee @ 8:30 (2nd-5th grade)
Tuesday, December 12th:
Kori off campus at Principal luncheon (11:00-1:00)
Wednesday, December 13th:
Holiday Open House at board room (please try to stop by during conference)
Thursday, December 14th:
Dr. Parker here for visit @ 12:30
Friday, December 15th:
Early Release at 11:40 for Holiday Break
Staff painting party w/ snacks provided after dismissal
Tuesday, January 2nd:
Staff returns- campus PD day (K-2 off campus training)
Wednesday, January 3rd:
Kids return from break
Bobby off campus in AM at meeting
Thursday, January 4th:
Kori off campus at meeting
Tuesday, January 9th:
ELAR Vertical Council Meeting (AM)
Math Vertical Council Meeting (PM)
LiiNK grade levels- Meeting at 3:30 @ Elkins!
Thursday, January 11th:
Kori off campus at meeting
Friday, January 12th:
Spirit Rally @ 10:00
Early Release @ 11:40