MoASSP Messenger October 19, 2018
National Breast Cancer Awareness Month #RethinkPink
Volume 32 Number 13
Update From the Executive Director
Happy Boss’s Day
This is your lucky day. Not only is October National Principals Month, today is Boss’s Day! Always celebrated the 16th day of October, the concept of Boss’s Day originated in 1958 by an employee of State Farm in Illinois. Her boss was her father. Interesting fact.
What makes a good boss? According to one google search, traits such as approachable, good communicator, understanding, fair, and honest are associated with being a good boss. Let's look instead toward the Professional Standards for Educational Leaders (PSEL) and the Missouri Leadership Development System (MLDS) to describe effective school leaders. Attributes such as, “providing moral direction for the school and promoting ethical and professional behavior among faculty and staff,” or, “act according to and promoting the professional norms of integrity, fairness, transparency, trust,” help describe effective school leaders.
Whatever day or month it is, continue to celebrate and recognize the very special role you have in leading your school and community.
What's in the rest of this issue...
- Archived Messengers
- Professional Learning Opportunities
- Fall Conference PowerPoint Presentations including Hot Legal Topics
- State Assessment Update
- New Website Coming Soon
- Better Schools for Missouri Endorsements
- November 6 Ballot Language
- On-Line Resources (The Opportunity Myth, Mike Smith Resources)
- Upcoming Regional Meetings
- National Principal of the Year DC Event
- MoASSP Visits Missouri Schools
- Lead2Feed Free Resource
- Membership Update
- This Week’s Video
- Tweet for the Week
Whether you are aspiring, emerging, developing, or transformational, wherever you are on the “Principal’s Journey”, it really is a “matter of principal(ple).” Clark Mershon
Fall Conference PowerPoint Presentations
Performance Level Setting Process for Math and English Presentation
Announcing New Website Launch
- Event Registration
- Membership Management
- Enhanced Communication
- New Content Tools such as blogs, forums, video, photos, etc.
- eCommerce (online store)
- Board of Directors portal
"We are excited about this new opportunity for our Association," comments, Executive Director, Clark Mershon. "Doug (Mirts) has done a great job in keeping our current website a premiere place for updates and news," adds Mershon. The new website will allow the entire MoASSP office staff to optimize all of the features provided by the new format. Take a glimpse at the new format below.
Better Schools for Missouri...Mid-Term Endorsements Announced
The Opportunity Myth
The GKCMPA will have their annual fall meeting on Wednesday, November 7 at Jack Stack Freight House, located at 101 W. 22nd Street in KCMO. The social hour sponsored by Bob and Jeff Enger (Jostens) will begin at 5:00 PM followed by a dinner buffet at 6:00. The keynote speaker is Ryan Lefebvre, KC Royals Broadcaster. The cost is $30 check or PO payable to GKCMPA. You can pay at the door or mail in advance to Bart Woods, GKCMPA Treasurer, 200 E. 5th Street, Kearney, MO 64060. Please RSVP by October 31.
Here is a quick list of other upcoming GKC events for your calendar. More information forthcoming.
Upcoming Assistant Principal Roundtables
- December 5 - Summit Technology, LSR7
- January 29 - Winnetonka HS
Upcoming HS Principal Roundtables
- November 14 – Blue Springs South HS
- January 9 – Oak Park HS
GKCMPA Aspiring Principal Conference and Winter Meeting
GKCMPA Board Members
- President -- Charlie Belt, Blue Springs South HS
- President-Elect -- Tressa Wright, Plaza MS (Park Hill)
- Past President -- Corey Willich, Park Hill HS
- Treasurer -- Bart Woods, Kearney MS
- Secretary – Kayla England, Lee’s Summit West HS
- MoASSP Representative – Jeff Meisenheimer, Lee’s Summit North HS
- At-Large Rep – Wendy Kline, Truman HS
- At-Large Rep – Randy Oliver, Van Horn HS
- At-Large Rep – Drew White, Winnetonka HS
Dr. Jeff Meisenheimer Represents Missouri at National Principal of the Year Event in DC
NASSP Executive Director, JoAnn Bartoletti and NASSP President, Christine Handy with the presentation of the award.
Capitol Hill Visit
Missouri Senator, Roy Blunt, and Jeff Meisenheimer visit about education.
Clark and Jeff pause for a photo opportunity prior to the awards presentation.
Advocacy In Action...Register now for Phone2Action!
- home address
- cell number
- personal email (not school)
- You will then receive a text message from 528-86 with the following message: "Reply YES to confirm your subscription to Missouri Association of Secondary School Principals alerts.
It is that simple. You do not have to send a message to your legislator to become an advocate. When we have an action item that needs support, we will be ready to act.
Rolla High School Administrative Team
Principal Stephanie Green & Assistant Principal Curtis Walk
"The greatest art of all is the art of living."
Park Hill High School Administrative Team
Crème de la Crème of School Rankings
New Secure Entrance...Safe & Respectful for 1,800 Students
6 Counselors & 2 Social Workers Enjoy New Center
Crème de la Crème of School Rankings
Northeast Vice Principal Steve Belen & MoASSP Executive Director Clark Mershon
Iconic School Built in 1914
Historic Northeast Auditorium with Today's Core Values Displayed
Activities Director, Jason Fenstermaker | K12 Principal, Kathy Butler | Assistant Principal, Todd Brendel
Knob Noster High School Assistant Principal/Activities Director Adam Easterwood & Principal Connie Morris
Real & Relevant Learning
La Monte 7-12 Principal, Hilliary Owens
GKCMPA Principal Roundtable
FREE RESOURCES: LEAD2FEED STUDENT LEADERSHIP PROGRAM
Total membership is now 1,121. Click on a name and connect with a colleague in your region or another part of the state by sending an email.
If you see inaccurate information, please email Katy. Thanks for helping us keep our database up to date.
MoASSP Board of Directors
- NASSP Coordinator for Missouri: John Faulkenberry, Lee's Summit HS
- MoASSP President: Ed Gettemeier, Hardin MS
- MoASSP President-Elect: Marc Spunaugle, Lincoln HS
- MoASSP Past President: Chris Hoehne, Ste. Genevieve HS
- MoASSP Treasurer: Kathryn Greer, Francis Howell North HS
- At-Large Non-Public: Valerie Todd, St. Mary's HS
- At-Large Assistant Principal: Jennifer Strauser, Eureka HS
- At-Large Middle Level: Jonathan Apostol, Monett MS
- Kansas City (GKCMPA): Jeff Meisenheimer, Lee's Summit North HS
- Northwest: Robert Bowers, Lathrop HS
- Northeast: Scott Daly, Hallsville HS
- Southeast: Dan Hecht, Kelly-Benton HS
- Southwest: Sarah Odom, Cherokee MS
- South Central: Jim Pritchett, Rolla HS
- Central: Brandon Harding, Cole Camp HS
- St. Louis (SASSP): Andy Croley, McCluer North HS
- NASSP Board Member: Kevin Lowery, Lebanon HS
2018-2019 District Presidents
- Central Region: Jonathan Peterson, Smithton HS
- GKCMPA: Charlie Belt, Blue Springs South HS
- Northeast Region: Deborah Hill-Haag, Mexico MS
- Northwest Region: Beery Johnson, Benton HS
- SASSP: Gary Jansen, Crestview MS (Rockwood)
- South Central Region: Kelle McCallum, Washington HS
- Southeast Region: Lucas McKinnis, Bernie HS
- Southwest Region: Keith White, Buffalo HS
Thanks to Our Corporate Sponsors for Helping Support the Vision & Mission of MoASSP
Missouri Association of Secondary School Principals
The vision of MoASSP is to serve ALL middle level and high school administrators.
The mission of MoASSP is to improve secondary education through positive leadership and the enhancement of student performance.