Jan. 22nd, 2018 Pony News
On the Side of Hope!
Do you remember the stories we shared at the BOY about DJ Batiste?
Restorative Discipline Practices - An Approach to Support Us with Our Discipline Challenges!
Click here to learn more about Restorative Discipline.
Students' Accommodation Plan
Grade According to Grade Level TEKS
A Minute with the LASes
Thank you to the following people for participating in last week's Coffee Talk on equity and diversity!
Ms. Lopez, Ms. Shield, Ms. Anguita, Coach Green, Ms. Zamora, Ms. Burleson and Ms. Valdes
There was also an anonymous participant, so if that was you, please let us know to give you the Jeans pass.
All the reflections were very thoughtful and can be applied to our school's reality. You can read them by clicking here. Also, the video below has good ideas and questions for reflection on our own practice.
And the winner of the gift card raffle is...
Continue sharing with the district how in Lewisville Elementary we prepare our Ponies for College and Career Readiness.
Tweet to #LISDCULTURE and #Thepony way your pictures and videos demonstrating how we provide our students with engaging and enriching opportunities. Begin your tweet with LV ES..
RALLY FOR THIS WEEK
Please click on the link to see the sequence of the Rally!
- We will introduce a new song: Chayanne - Madre Tierra
The songs talks about:
We must give love if we are to ask for it later
We must forgive in order to keep going
Remember that we have a one-way ticket
And that we must always be thankful for life
For life, For life, For life, For life
Listen, Open your eyes, Look up
Enjoy the good things that you have in your life....
See what Mr. Thomas and Mr. Colon created for the Rally:
- Be ready to say your chant!
- Do you want to know the plan for the year? Click here to see the NEU College Ready Rally Planning Calendar
This is our first week for our NEU Ready Rally Leadership students to help our Kinder & 1st grade students! Thank you teachers for helping to make this happen!
- 4th grade students will meet their 1st grade classes in the gym (1st grade is coming from specials)
- 5th grade students will meet their Kinder classes in the Kinder classrooms
- Their main task- help dismiss (assign them students to help lead out), encourage the kids to chant & dance (it is a process, so it will get better and better each week)
Over the next couple of weeks, we will be focusing on a new guided reading resource to our professional library. We only have a couple of copies available, but grade levels can share one copy.
Chapter 1 introduces us to the literacy routines and procedures that should be established in K–8 classrooms. A common question about guided reading is, What is the rest of the class doing while the teacher is leading guided reading groups? Centers can easily become busy-work stations with no link to literacy development.
Consider your current classroom routines and procedures. Ask yourself what could be improved. What is not working as well as you hoped? Choose one of Jan’s suggested literacy activities on pages 18–22 and try it in your classroom. You might add a new word wall station, create a Readers Theater center, or add a written response piece to the listening center.
**Don't forget about our science poetry resource: The Poetry Friday Anthology For Science by Sylvia Vardell and Janet Wong. Any one of the coaches would love to make copies for you to use in your classroom.**
2nd 9 Week Report Card Time is Here
- Grading Period is from October 30th - January 19th
- Grade posting LVES deadline is @ 4:00 PM on Monday, January 22nd
- Please add your comments/notes before marking grades completed
- Please open the Language Arts Combined course before marking grades completed
*Need to make a grade change after posting window is closed- click link
Pennies for Patients Pony News
Monday January 22nd
- GRADES DUE at 4pm
- 2nd 9 wk. Report Cards
- Kinder WTW/PASP Inventory window BEGINS
- K-2nd Math MOY Universal Screenings window BEGINS
- College Ready Rally 2:20-2:45 pm
- College/U shirt Day
- Math & Science ACT
Tuesday January 23
- PLC in DataHub
Wednesday January 24th
- Math CBA 2nd
- Math CBA 3rd-4th
- 5th Visits DeLay MS
- All Level Team Meetings
- Dress for Success Day
- LA & Inst. Tech. ACT
Thursday January 25th
- Math CBA 2nd
- Reading CBA 3rd-4th
- Math CBA 5th grade
- Inst. Tech. Fac.
- Math & Science ACT
- 4th Teachers- Writing Academy
- **** 2nd grade music Performance
Friday January 26th
- *3rd @ 8:15
- *2nd @ 9:00
- *4th @ 1:30
- *5th @ 2:10
Staff Shout Outs
- Coach W for always willing to locate students during their specials
- Mr. Anderson for tutoring my kids while I've been out! You have been such a rock star on helping my class out!
- My third grade team for helping out with my sub and students while I've been out! You guys ROCK!!!
- Wanda Oden for checking on me and helping me out with grades and my sub. I appreciate all your help!
- Miss Betty and Danielle Ramage for helping me with subs during my time of need!
- Coach W for serving our parents by jumping several cars this week!
- Ms. Wooster for all that she does in supporting our students.
- Mr. Reed- Thank you for covering my class last week!
- Ms. Y. Bernal- Thank you for making sure 4th is prepared for the next 9 weeks and sharing your hard work!
- Ms. Burleson for always sharing your amazing ideas!
Click here to submit your Shout Out.