Parent Council Update - Fall 2016
Loughborough Public School - Sydenham
Parent Council awards more than $14K in grants
Loughborough Public School Parent Council has awarded more than 14,000 in funding to benefit school-based projects following a review of grant proposals in November.
LPS teachers and council members were asked to submit proposals for funding back in September. After discussion and a review of the proposals, the following projects have been approved and funded by Parent Council:
- Music Room Refurbishment: purchase of new instruments for music room. Submitted Ms. MacDonald $3,000
- Love for Literacy: purchase of books and other literacy materials for Kindergarten rooms. Submitted by Ms. Lee $3,000
- Flexible Seating: introduction of flexible seating options in primary, junior & intermediate classrooms to allow students choice in what options works best for them. Submitted by Ms. Woogh & Mr. McCrady $4,000
- Daily Physical Activity Bins: Roving shared cart equipped with items to support physical activity in classrooms. Submitted by Ms. Campbell, Ms. Cancian and Ms. MacDonald $2,000
- French iPads: Support purchase of dedicated iPads for French classes. Submitted by Ms. Kay $1,200
- Art Rack: Drying racks for student art work. Submitted by Ms. Isbell $850
Even with this disbursement of funds, Parent Council holds a reserve of about $5,000. We also hope to raise between $5-10,000 this year through other fundraising opportunities. We will provide updates on these projects as they get under way.
Hot Lunch: order deadline December 21
School Council is once again pleased to offer an assortment of hot lunches on Fridays. The price per lunch is $3.75 for chicken fried rice or pepperoni pizza pasta prepared by students at Sydenham High School's culinary program. Little Caesars Cheese Pizza is $2.50 per slice. Order forms for the winter term are coming home December 16 with a return date of December 21. Forms will also be available off the School Council section of the LPS website. The program resumes January 13.
Loughborough families and staff are invited to attend a Kingston Frontenacs game to help support our school on Friday, February 17 at 7 p.m. Parent Council will receive $3.50 from each $15 ticket sold. Watch for a flyer coming home soon!
About Loughborough Parent Council
Loughborough Public School Parent Council is always looking for new members. Please consider joining us.
Parent Council Co-Chairs - Christina Marshall & Jeff Peck
Secretary - Karen Smith
Treasurer - Lisa Nelder