FOURTH GRADE NEWS
December 17, 2015
Welcome to Fourth Grade
It is hard to believe the first semester is about to end. We hope all of you have a safe and wonderful winter break. Enjoy some extra time with family and friends. Students will return to school on Tuesday, January 5th. When we return, students will begin the Science MAP test.
Mrs. Carranza, our guidance counselor, has given the students an extended learning opportunity that connects to College Week. Fourth grade students will complete a pennate representing the college of his or her choice. Pennates are due to school on Wednesday, January 6th.
The winter break is a great time for students to work on Science Fair Projects. Finished projects are due to school by Wednesday, January 13th. Late entries will not be accepted. It is important when completing a Science Fair Project that the rules as outlined in the Student Science Fair handbook are followed. Judging will take place on January 14th. Students should be prepared to answer questions about the project if the judges request and interview. Parents will be able to view projects on January 14th from 2:30-3:30 and January 15th from 8:00 am-2:00 pm . Projects will be taken home at the end of the day on January 15th.
**Please check with your child to see if they are in need of new school supplies. By this time of year, many students have lost markers or the ink is running low, scissors have disappeared along with most of their colored pencils, and folders are falling apart.
When we return students will be continuing with the theme of the Power of Words by studying texts in the form of dramas. In past texts, students have come to understand that sometimes what is said and how a person truly feels are different. Ask your child about the characters he or she has read about at school and during independent reading that have not kept their promises or said one thing, yet meant something totally different.
The spelling pattern for the week will focus on words in the plural form. Some words when changing from singular to plural add an -s at the end while others do not.
Science and Social Studies
From the Teachers
- Science Fair is coming to Skaggs! If your child is interested in participating please send in the student letter as soon as possible in order to receive the handbook. Student Letters can be found on the fourth grade website. Projects are due to school by Wednesday, January 13th. https://sites.google.com/a/pisd.edu/fabulous-fourth-grade-friends/
- Reading Logs: Skaggs has a new reading program that we would love to encourage your children to participate in. With this reading program, your child will read at home and record the number of minutes that he or she has read each night. At the end of the week, your child can record the number of minutes read for the week on the following web site: http://tinyurl.com/SkaggsReadingLog
- We would like to encourage your child to bring their electronic devices. Electronic devices are being used in all subject areas along with music and art.
- Be a star for our students and write a check to our PTA. See the information below regarding the Skaggs PTA Check Writing Campaign.
- A fourth grade website just for parents! You will find links, important information, and much more. https://sites.google.com/a/pisd.edu/fabulous-fourth-grade-friends/
- 12/21 Winter Break Begins
- 1/5 Students Return
- 1/6 College Week Pennants Due
- 1/13 Science Fair Projects Due
- 1/14 Judging of Science Fair Projects, Parents can view projects from 2:30-3:30
- 1/15 Parent viewing of Science Fair Projects 8 am to 2 pm, Projects sent home
- 1/18 Martin Luther King Holiday- No School
- 1/20 School Spelling Bee