Newsletter - March 2014
THANKS TO YOU, THE GALA WAS A GREAT SUCCESS!
- April 14-17 Elementary go Camp Allen by grade
- April 16 School Day
- April 17 Spring Parties/Noon Dismissal/Extended Care
- April 18 School Holiday
- May 22 Parent Education
- May 26 School Holiday/Memorial Day
- May 30 Conference/Progress Reports/Noon Dismissal
- June 6 Last Day of School/Noon Dismissal
THANK YOU FOR YOUR GENEROSITY
Each teacher has reported their comments about the conference in their class news. We are all so very grateful for the opportunity to refresh our passion for The Montessori Method.
WONDERFUL MARCH EVENTS
SCIENCE & ART FAIR
JESSIE JONES PARK
We focussed on Texas this month. We learned about our State capital, tree, flower, and insect. We had a blast with a special Mardi Gras celebration, and read Dr, Seuss and Texas. We also welcomed many new students into the classroom. March was busy, but fun.
AMS Conference - My trip to Dallas was wonderful; I came away with new ideas for the Sensorial area, for special needs students and I learned how to prepare a “Ready for the day environment.” This trip was very lovely; I was able to see many Montessori friends, share ideas and return with memories that were priceless.
Class 206 - Ms. Theresa & Ms. Stephanie
AMS Conference - Workshop: “There’s a material for that” - In the math area I will implement greater and less than by using the concept of ”The hungry alligator.” Example: 10 ≥ 3 The alligator is hungry and eats more, so therefore is eating away at the larger number.
Workshop: “Spark your classroom’s sensorial area” - I will implement new extensions for all sensorial material. For example: knobbed cylinders, red rods, pink tower and brown stair.
Class 210 - Ms. Dilia & Ms. Kathleen
During the month of March, our class focused on the letters Y, Z, A & B, the color green, the weather, forest animals and various shapes (circle, triangle & square). We were so happy to welcome some new friends to the Toddler classroom this month.
The Gala - Our future is looking strong and bright thanks to all of the parents who made this year's gala a grand success! Our class quilt fetched over $2,000 and was donated back to the school. All of the net proceeds raised is being reinvested back into the school.
AMS Conference - Main points of interest from workshops:
Workshop - “Organize the disorganized child” - The ability to inspire - Delivery and communication style - Novelty and motivation can overcome ADHD - Organizing material and space - Memory and sequence - The work cycle - Directionality - Managing time - Be on the look-out for the spark moments
Class 214/216 - Ms. Sarah, Ms. Kate & Ms. Mukta
AMS Conference - Cosmic Journey – Bringing the idea to the children that they are in the world for a reason and that they should be on a path to achieve their “Cosmic Purpose.”
· Gratitude and Appreciation - Reminding the children that gratitude, appreciation, respect and moral values will help them succeed.
· Differentiation - Meeting every child where they are and really honoring them as a unique person.
· Diversity - Love and acknowledge the incredible diversity in the classroom and enable the children to embrace it.
· “The World Peace Game” – John Hunter – Taking a look at how everyone is working together to create a better world and in that cooperative activity either everyone or no one wins.
· Embracing the Montessori materials – Really taking ownership and pride in the materials as I present/share/explore the materials with the children.