Hillcrest Family Newsletter
May 22nd, 2020
Message from Mrs. Lincicum
Thank you to everyone who was able to stop by and pick up student materials this week. We know some families are still uncovering library books and we will take those at ANY time. This week everyone got a list of overdue books with fines listed. Please know that we are not issuing or collecting any fines at this time. This is an auto email that was triggered at the district level and we know you have those books! There were many books in totes at school that may have been checked out to your child as well. Teachers have pulled these books and returned them to the library but they may not be checked in, yet. Accounts will be updated in June as Mrs. Bartol is able to check them in. Our Library Media Assistants have some extra duties and precautions that they are working around this spring. Thank you so much for doing a good search and finding those books! We will get those accounts updated for everyone!
Summer school registration is open now through June 1st. SDW Summer School is virtual this year as school buildings are still required to be closed until June 30th. If students were recommended to register for a reading or math intervention course in March, please note that that is no longer an option in the virtual format. All students will sign up for a grade level course that will include math and literacy activities geared toward the grade level standards. More information and Course Guide materials can be found on the district's Summer School webpage.
The end of the year is coming very quickly and here are some dates to be aware of:
-The last day for new learning for students will be Thursday, June 4th. Friday, June 5th is still a day for catching up on assignments and following up with anything else that needs to be submitted.
-Monday, June 8th is a grade level day with grade levels planning end of year activities.
-Tuesday, June 9th is our whole school end of year activity. We will be hosting a reverse parade from 11:00-Noon, with a few extra fun surprises planned. We hope families are able to join us at some point beginning at 11:00. We LOVED seeing our kids having fun waving their signs last time and we hope they are all looking forward to Sum-Sum-Summer Vacation!
iPads will not be returned to school. Students won't be receiving additional assignments or communication from teachers after June 9th. If you are moving over the summer and no longer attending Hillcrest, please arrange to return the iPad and charger to our office. Tech support is available all summer for iPad use as it relates to our technology tools.
A couple other reminders:
*Wednesday, May 27th from 3:00-5:30 is our last window of time for picking up student materials and checking the lost and found. More details can be found HERE. After Wednesday, all Lost and Found items will be donated and materials can be picked up by a walk up appointment.
* If you know your child is going to be absent from virtual learning for a day, please email Mrs. Perez at email@example.com or call 970-1805 to report an absence.
We are still here for you. If there is anything we can do to help. Please reach out. No one should suffer through this time alone. We are better together and we genuinely do want to help.
Mental Health Awareness Month
We are joining NAMI Wisconsin and planning a statewide scavenger hunt to help spread awareness about mental health conditions and end the stigma!
All you have to do is put one of the coloring sheets in your window during the month of May. That’s it! Color it, paint it, print it from the printer, whatever you’d like. Then we can get outside, walk around, and see how many people are fighting to end the stigma and raise awareness around Mental Health Month!
Share your coloring sheets with us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram (and tag @namiwisconsin and @namiwaukesha) for a chance to win a NAMI Wisconsin Swag Bag!
Licensed School Counselor
serving Banting/Heyer/ Hillcrest/ Lowell/ Prairie/ Rose Glen/ E-achieve
Click here to schedule a video chat or webex meeting (8AM-4PM ONLY)
5th Grade Shirts Order & Thank You
5th Grade Families please make sure to order any shirts you would like by Sunday. Order HERE.
Thank you to the 5th Grade Completion committee that has been working to create a meaningful experience for our 5th Graders; Chris Adent, Shelly Gebert, Nicole Grisar, Nikki Hoch, Heather Johnson, Ryan Krauter, Leah Reed and Nicole Zeroth.
PTO End of Year Staff Gifts
In order to participate, all you need to do is complete this simple google form with your child's name and the amount you would like to contribute; then you be PayPal, Venmo or mail a check to Nicole Zeroth. All money contributed will be divided evenly amongst all staff members. This will allow everyone to participate and all staff members to easily be thanked and supported. Any amount is welcome; it all adds up!
This year's program collection will be a bit different but we all know that we LOVE our Hillcrest staff and want to show our support!
If you have any questions, please contact Nicole at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Payment Options due by June 2nd:
Mail: W223 S3061 Racine Ave., Waukesha, WI 53186 (checks payable to Hillcrest PTO)
Message from Our Library Media Services
Parents here is some helpful information as you get ready to return library books to school when you are picking up belongings from school in the next few weeks.
- Any items left in classrooms will be returned to the library by the teachers as they organize student items.
- You will be sent a notice of all materials checked out to your student via email through our library system this week and/or next week. You can also login to the library system to see your student's account. See the directions below.
- Please follow the school instructions for returning materials outlined by the principal.
- All library materials (including items returned from classrooms) will be checked in about a week after the pick-up days to allow a time of quarantine for the safety of the library staff. Returned items will not be reflected in the student library account until that time.
- No fees will be charged for returned items in good condition. The system automatically assigns a fee for late materials, but the fees are dropped once the items are checked in.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mrs. Bartol (email@example.com) or Mrs. Haas (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Here is the process for logging into student library accounts:
- Go to https://sdw.waukesha.k12.wi.us/domain/81
- Click on your child's school. The school library home page will open.
- In the upper right corner of the library home page click on login.
- The username is the beginning of the student email (example: sstudent001) The password is the student lunch code and safeword (example: 123456fun)
- Click on the MyInfo tab on the top left part of the page. You will see a list of books that the student has checked out.
PTO Final Restaurant Night
Hillcrest Elementary School
We take pride in our history, our inclusive community and our collective sense of wonder!