By: Caitlin Toms, Caitlin Flores, Alexis Martinez
4 interesting facts
- University of Copenhagen · Gammelholm Grammar School
- Niels Bohr is considered as one of the most influential physicists
- He won the Nobel Prize in 1922
- Margrethe Nørlund (1912 - 1962) was his wife
Years and place of discovery
- In 1913 Niels Bohr developed and published his model of atomic structure.
Importance of the Discovery
- In 1913 Bohr proposed his quantized shell atom to explain how electrons can have stable orbits around the nucleus.
- The Bohr model shows the atoms as a small positively charged nucleus surrounded by orbiting electrons.
- He proposed that energy levels of electrons are discrete and that the electrons are revolving in stable orbits around the atomic nucleus but are able to jump from on energy level to another
- He proposed a theory for the hydrogen atom based on the quantum theory that energy is transferred
- He proposed an electron could drop from a higher energy orbit to a lower one
Starts at 1:03