LMS Weekly Reminder
Upcoming Task and Dates to Remember for this Week.
THIS WEEK- April 7-11
- APRIL IS NATIONAL SCHOOL LIBRARY MONTH
- APRIL IS NATIONAL POETRY MONTH
- April 8th- CANCELED Rescheduled for May 12th
HS BOB Book Selection Meeting
- April 10th- Inventory and Mentee Training -
This is a combined meeting. If you would like a refresher course on conducting an inventory at your school please attend.
LOCATION: Allen Middle School Media Center
- April 11th- BOB Regional Competition
Go Northwest Middle
Thank you in advance for all of your hard work. Please strictly follow the instructions emailed to you earlier. It is important that the files are named correctly and shared correctly in order to process the orders properly.
Your lists are DUE on or before April 29th (If you do not submit your list through the TitleWave account by 5:00 on April 29th, you will lose this funding opportunity.)
Look for specific email tomorrow with attached instructions. If you want more information on how to create and share your list, sign up for one of the sessions listed below.
Do you need help navigating TitleWave to develop and share your eBook order ?
OPTIONAL TRAINING BEING OFFERED TOMORROW AND NEXT TUESDAY:
We will be offering time TOMORROW and Next Tuesday for anyone that wants to get help and tips developing your 20 multiuser/unlimited copy list in TitleWave. Due to schedule issues we are only available to offer training tomorrow of this week and Tuesday of next week.
There are 4 different options for both days. (Click the link and choose only 1 to attend)
*2:00 *3:00 * 4:00 *5:00
Roadmap 2 Reading- What's Next?
Since it is School Library Month -The new district reading incentive program will be announced later this month.
What I can tell you:
- It will no longer be called Roadmap2 Reading
- You will received specific details once the principals have been informed.
- It will still require us to enter minutes read by students each month.
- · To continue to encourage all GCS students to read at least 20 minutes per day for 20 days a month.
- · To simplify and streamline the literacy message and unify the multiple literacy efforts across the district.
- · To promote community involvement in the district's literacy efforts, through community reader days and book donation opportunities.
- · To create more frequent incentives for students to reach throughout the year.
- · 20 minutes of time spent reading is a powerful way to build vocabulary and increase overall literacy
- · Building a love of reading will support other academic areas and better prepare children for increased workloads in college
Poet Laureate Events
Jen Worrells did a wonderful job organizing the Poet Laureate Writers workshop this weekend.
There are 17 High Schools participating in the Poet Laureate Contest this year. This past Saturday, 11 poets gathered for a writer’s workshop and reading that took place at the Greensboro Public Library.
Other events include:
- Monday, April 28, 6 pm – Poetry and Pizza at Central Library, 219 North Church Street - *All finalists invited to attend
Poet Sarah Lindsay will provide a workshop / Q &A for all Poet Contestants. All attendees are encouraged to participate in the Teen Poetry Reading to follow at 7:30. (RSVP)
- Monday, April 28, 7:30 pm – Monday Night Poetry – Teen Night at Central Library, 219 North Church Street - *All finalists invited to attend
Dates to Remember
- April 12th- BOE education Meeting Attendance for BOB Winning Schools
CLICK HERE to verify the number of students that will be attending the BOE meeting on the 29th to recognize our BOB winners.
- April 17th- YA Lit Final Edmodo Submission DUE Date
- April 17th- Special Program Media Specialist Reception
offered by Barnes and Nobles
Market Your Media Center Like a Bookstore
Time: 4:30 pm Location: Barnes and Nobles
- April 20th - Elementary BOB List Feedback Form DUE
CLICK HERE to access the form to offer feedback
- April 23rd- World Book Night USA
- April 24th- District AMTR Meeting-
Location: Lindley Elementary Auditorium Time: 4:00-6:00
- April 28th - HS BOB Book Selection Meeting (Part 1)
Room 104 Washington Street Time: 4:00
- April 29th- Board of Education 6:00 Eugene Street
-BOB Recognition (Placing teams please have students in lobby at 6:00)
- -Media Specialist of the Year Recognition
-National School Library Month GASL Board of Education Presentation
-Poet Laureate Recognitions at BOE meeting
Everyone please come out and show your support! Let's make it a night for school libraries at all levels.
- May 12th- Rescheduled- HS BOB Book Selection Meeting (Part 2)
Room 300 Washington Street Time: 4:00
Engaging African American Male Readers
Check out this great resource recommended by Effie McMillian. It has wonderful suggestions of books to engage the African American Male population.
Author Visit At Dudley April 9th
You are cordially invited to attend the Annual Author Visit at Dudley High School in the Media Center on Wednesday, April 9. Dr. Pamela Garland will discuss her book titled, "The Mask I Wear to Hide the Pain I Bear". The book focuses on her personal experiences with human trafficking.
There will be two sessions.
- Session one will begin promptly at 9:30
- Session two will be at 10:40.
At the conclusion of session two, there will be a book signing in the media center.
Instructional Technology and Innvoation April Newsletter
Our WONDERFUL Instructional Technology and Innovation Team of Pam James and Sabrina Jenkins has created videos to walk you through the use of Office 365, Web Apps, and using SkyDrive. Click Here to access instructional Video's.
If you would like to learn more, this month the team will continue to offer Office 365, Web Apps & OneDrive (formerly known as SkyDrive) training for all users. Click here for a full list of classes and more details.
REMEMBER: Please share this information with your staff.
GREAT NEWS! If you attend at least 3 instructional courses throughout the year you will now receive credit. (Please share with staff.)
Library Media Services
Have a wonderful week!
Remember: If you would like text reminders about media services events text @mediaspe to (469)275-4562
Employee of the Month
CLICK HERE to nominate someone for Employee of the Month.