FIRST GRADE NEWS
January 14, 2016
Dear 1st Grade Star Parents,
Next week is another 4 day week! There will be no school on Monday in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. so we will see our students on Tuesday.
- Spelling Tests: Each Friday in our second semester, first grade students will have a spelling test reviewing the week's spelling pattern. The words on the test might not be the exact words on the list but will follow the pattern. For instance, your child's teacher will say, "If you can spell might, you can spell night". Research has shown that mere memorization of 10 words per week does not necessarily guarantee that the words will be remembered the next week. However, teaching word patterns does has a longer-lasting effect. A dictation sentence will also be included which will contain words from our word wall. Please contact us, if you have any questions.
- Science Fair: Parents can come and view the Science Fair on January 14th from 2:30-3:30 and January 15th from 8-2. Projects will be sent home with your child on January 15th.
- College Week: Tomorrow is the last day of College Week.
- Please click on this link from Mrs. Geiler, our Skaggs Librarian. https://www.smore.com/v6jc8
- Math- We are continuing our study of geometry and 2D, or plane, shapes. Students are learning mathematical vocabulary, such as, "vertex," "vertices," "angles," and shape names. Next week we will compare 2D with 3D shapes.
- Language Arts/Social Studies- We have enjoyed sharing different celebrations from our cultures and researching holidays. Government will be our new focus in Social Studies. Our focus will be why we have rules/laws and a study of historical leaders.
- Science- Our current engineering unit focuses on "How can we design a wall using rocks and a mortar mixture?" Because science and engineering projects are hands-on, materials are often needed. We are still in need of several materials necessary for this unit which are listed below, and if you have any of these materials available, your donation would be greatly appreciated. The materials we are in need of are: rocks, clay powder, ceramic tiles, paper plates, and sand.(Please send any of these items to school as soon as possible). Thank you for your support.
- January 11-29: TPRI testing
- Science Fair viewing: Thursday, Jan. 14th, 2:30-3:30 p.m. and Friday, Jan. 15th, 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Monday, January 18: MLK holiday, NO SCHOOL