Brought to you by your NoGa School Counselors - vol. 5
Students last names A - F
Students last names G - M
Students last names N - Z
Happy New Year!
~ STUDENT OPPORTUNITIES ~
Participation in student activities helps with building character and building your resume so GET INVOLVED!!!
(9) Commissioners' School of Excellence
Senator James S. Forrester Commissioners' School of Excellence
- Each summer, the Gaston County Board of Commissioners funds a two-week residential experience for rising 10th graders at Belmont Abbey College. The Commissioners' School of Excellence (CSE) offers a variety of hands-on activities and seminars designed to help participants better understand Gaston County, and their own roles as future leaders.
- Each Gaston County high school is allotted one CSE position for every fifty students enrolled in the ninth grade.
- Any 9th grader is eligible to apply for CSE - see Mrs. Smith for more information
(11) Martha Guy Summer Institute (fee to participate)
- One of the best summer opportunities awaits current juniors on the campus of Appalachian State Univeristy. The Martha Guy Summer Institute for Future Business Leaders (MGSI) as a solid, 12 year history of inspiring students through exploration of the business world, and they are not accepting applications for their 2016 cohort!
- There is a fee attached to this opportunity so please visit http://marthaguy.appstate.edu/ for full details. Application deadline is February 26, 2016.
(10 & 11) Summer Ventures
- Summer Ventures in Science and Mathematics is seeking rising NC juniors and seniors who are academically talented and who aspire to careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- Spend 4 weeks during your summer on a UNC campus conducting research on STEM topics. Gain skills in experimental design, laboratory instrumentation, mathematical modeling, and more. Applications are now available online - deadline is January 31st.
- Visit: http://www.summerventures.org/ for a thorough program review and application.
(11 & 12) Advanced Leadership Academy (fee to participate)
- Participants will develop themselves along the seven dimensions of the Social Change Model of Leadership (SCM) and how they work together to accomplish the eighth dimension change
- Participants will also meet new people and establish an ongoing network of peers, other leaders and social entrepreneurs
- Participants will also earn college credit from George Mason University
- For more information and to sign up for this excellent opportunity, visit: http://www.hoby.org/programs/advanced-leadership-academy/
(9 - 12) The Shelton Leadership Conference (fee to participate)
- The Shelton Challenge is an experiential, five-night, six-day residential program designed to develop the next generation of values-based leaders.
- Students participate in a variety of activities including a low and high ropes course, social responsibility projects, team challenges, small group discussions, and multimedia presentations to introduce students to foundational concepts of values-based leadership.
- For application and reference forms, visit: https://sheltonleadership.ncsu.edu/youth-shelton-challenge/apply-for-challenge/
~ HELPFUL INFORMATION ~
Have you registered yet?
* Redesigned SAT begins in March *
For more information on the changes, visit https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat?affiliateId=aruhome&bannerId=nwsat
~ MARK YOUR CALENDARS ~
Schedules will be provided to students in advisory on the morning of January 25th. Remember that you committed to your course selections and alternates during registration. Schedules will not be changed because you changed your mind, you do not want the teacher, and/or you do not like the time of the class.
- Early release (SENIORS only) will be available for 3rd/4th periods only (no late arrival).
- Early release will not be assigned until you return the job form completed (see your counselor).
- If you are participating in a Spring sport, early release is NOT an option.
The schedule change request deadline has been extended to Friday 1/8 NO EXCEPTIONS. To submit a request, click on the following link:
Gay Straight Alliance
Every Monday 3:00pm - 4:00pm
The GSA will continue to hold weekly meetings every Monday in the Library. All students are welcome. See Mr. Bolden in the counseling office with any questions.
9:00am - noon
Get FREE help from college aid professionals to complete and submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. Session for Gaston County will be held at Gaston College. To register, visit https://www.onlineregistrationcenter.com/registerlist.asp?m=227&p=12&width=950&s=6&sb=1&group=37
ACT at NoGa
All juniors will take the ACT at school on March 1. There is no cost affiliated and this will be a college reportable score so any preparations you do will be a benefit for you.
~ CAREER EXPLORATION ~
What career path are you looking to pursue?
Out of the box careers
Highlighting lesser known careers
An architect is a person who plans, designs, and oversees the construction of buildings. To practice architecture means to provide services in connection with the design and construction of buildings
Median annual salary: 73,090
Entry education level: Bachelor's degree
Projected 10-year growth: 17%
Similar professions: Civil engineer, Urban and Regional Planners
For more information: https://collegegrad.com/careers/architects