in Food & Nutrition Services
VOLUME 5, ISSUE 4, NOVEMBER 2017 NEWSLETTER
Something To Make You Smile! Mr. Brooks Fenstermaker
Great Job! National School Lunch Week Was A Success! Thank You For Participating!
November Safety Tip
Always wear an apron to minimize contact between clothing and food / equipment. Remove apron upon leaving the kitchen / prep area or serving line. Wash aprons daily.
Roasted Vegetable Tacos
Jazz up taco night with this recipe featuring roasted vegetables for a delicious melody of color, taste and nutrition!
1 16-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons chicken or vegetable broth
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped yellow onion
1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
½ teaspoon minced garlic
1 medium yellow squash, sliced crosswise
1 medium zucchini squash, sliced crosswise
1 small yellow onion, sliced
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 6-inch corn tortillas
½ cup prepared green salsa
½ cup (2 ounces) crumbled queso fresco cheese
1 medium tomato, chopped
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Puree beans and broth in food processor until smooth. Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté chopped onion and jalapeño pepper 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add bean puree and stir until well combined. Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until heated.
- Line baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray yellow squash, zucchini and sliced onion with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake approximately 20 minutes, flipping sliced vegetables halfway through cooking time.
- Heat tortillas. Spread approximately ¼ cup bean mixture onto each tortilla. Top with approximately ¼ cup squash and onions. Finish each taco with 1 tablespoon salsa and 1 tablespoon cheese.
Serving size: 2 Tacos
Calories: 309; Total fat: 7g; Saturated fat: 2g; Trans fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 5mg; Sodium: 444mg; Total carbohydrate: 53g; Dietary fiber: 11g; Sugars: 9g; Protein: 13g
- NOVEMBER 10: Veterans' Day
- NOVEMBER 20-24: Thanksgiving Holiday
- DECEMBER 13TH & 14TH: Early Dismissal, Secondary Schools
- DECEMBER 15: Early Dismissal, All Schools
- DECEMBER 18 - JANUARY 1: Christmas/New Year's Break
- JANUARY 2ND: Planning Day / Student Holiday
- JANUARY 3RD: Food & Nutrition Services Inservice Day / Student Holiday
- JANUARY 4TH: Students return to school