"Stallions on Top" Newsletter
September/October Parental Newsletter for AVID, PBIS & SEL
Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Corner
According to CASEL (Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning) "We define social and emotional learning (SEL) as an integral part of education and human development. SEL is the process through which all young people and adults acquire and apply the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to develop healthy identities, manage emotions and achieve personal and collective goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain supportive relationships, and make responsible and caring decisions." RCPS supports the integration of SEL throughout the schools across the district.
SEL is an educational framework that can help all young people and adults thrive personally and academically, develop and maintain positive relationships, become lifelong learners, and contribute to a more caring world. Social Emotional Learning (SEL) is defined as an alignment of education and human development.
SEL at SES
Tier 1(All Scholars)- Receive weekly SEL lessons during their SEL specials class.
Tier 2(Designated Scholars)- Receive weekly SEL small group support and interventions.
Tier 3(Designated Scholars)- Receive a staff mentor for emotional support and development.
QuaverReady for SEL
QuaverReady offers a comprehensive approach to social and emotional learning for scholars and educators. This program provides resources and support to all stakeholders.
Mindful Morning Poster
These are steps that the scholars have practiced to have a "Mindful Morning".
Social Emotional Learning Wheel
This diagram outlines the essential components of the SEL framework.
QuaverReady for SEL
Mindful Morning Poster
We are happy to announce that we are in the process of providing supplies including binders, agendas, spiral notebooks, and pencil pouches to the scholars this week. The scholars are truly excited about their new supplies and being organized. Binder checks are upcoming and we are looking forward to awarding Beckett Bucks to those scholars who are organized and ready to learn. Also, Parents and Guardians, the AVID strategy for the next month is 2-Column Notes. Here is a brief overview of the strategy. Please ask the scholars to share the 2-Column notes that they have created in their classes with you.
AVID Binder Set Up
This graphic describes how to set up an AVID Binder
This graphic describes the STAR note-taking strategy.
G - Get ready to learn
R - Review what you know
O - Open your mind
W - Wonder and ask
HBCU Week - 9/19/22 - 9/23/22
PBIS at SES
PBIS is an evidence-based, tiered framework used to promote a positive learning environment throughout our entire building. We thrive on building relationships in a safe environment through teaching and modeling our essential agreements. At Sims we are Kind-Hearted Scholarly Leaders who Problem Solve.
We are excited about our 2022-2023 election process. Each University will elect one President, while each homeroom will elect a Vice-President. All scholars are welcome to run for a position, but they must follow all essential agreements. Please see the flyer below.
We value your input and want to hear from our parents and community regarding our PBIS Framework. Please complete the 2022-2023 Community Feedback Form.
"We are Kind-Hearted, Scholarly Leaders who Problem-Solve."
PBIS at Home
- Kindergarten: First 100 Words (Page 1)
- First Grade: First and Second 100 Words (Pages 1 and 2)
- Second Grade: Second and Third 100 Words (Pages 2 and 3)
- Third Grade: Third and Fourth 100 Words (Pages 3 and 4)
- Fourth Grade: Fourth and Fifth 100 Words (Pages 4 and 5)
- Fifth Grade: Fifth and Sixth 100 Words (Pages 5 and 6)
Important Dates to Remember:
- KDG - GKIDS Science Motion Task - 9/19-9/30
- 1st Grade - Narrative Writing Performance Task - 9/19-9/23
- 1st Grade - Science CUA – Magnets - 9/19-9/30
- 2nd Grade - Narrative Writing Performance Task - 9/19-9/23
- 2nd Grade - Science CUA – Stars - 9/19-9/30
- 3rd Grade - Math CUA – Unit 1 - 9/19-9/23
- 3rd Grade - Science CUA – Habitats Unit 1 - 9/19-9/30
- 3rd Grade - Social Studies CUA Unit 3 - 9/22-9/30
- 4th Grade - Science CUA Water Cycle Unit 1.2 - 9/19-9/30
- 4th Grade - Social Studies CUA Unit 2 (Window CLOSING) - 9/12-9/20
- 5th Grade - Science CUA Cells & Microorganisms Unit 1.2 - 9/19-9/30
- Annual Title I Parent Meeting: 5:30 PM, September 20th (Media Center)
- Simsational Jazz on the Green: 5:00-7:00 PM, September 23rd
- Chick-fil-A Spirit Night: 5:00-7:00 PM, September 26th
- Picture Day: September 27th
- Parent/Teacher Conferences: 4:00-6:00 PM, September 27th
- PTO Fall Dance: September 30th