Being Mindful in a Consumptive Culture
2. Make sure you know your school Google account (GAFE)
Digital Citizenship Strand
In their shoes
Who do you want to be?
Sample Student Prompts
What type of students/people/kids/”drivers” do we want to be? What impact do you hope to make?
“It is easy to make fun of stuff, but it is cooler to make stuff.” Agree-disagree? Go to one side of the room or the other based on your opinion and be ready to share why. What “stuff” could we take part in creating?
How can we make the internet an “awesome place”? Think about a time when the internet was not an awesome place. What stands out to you about that experience and how can we make things better? Why should we even care?
Use any creation app or physical materials (sticky notes,markers, etc.) to collaborate as a class and make your thinking visible.
Online vs. Face to Face
What's the difference: Myself vs. My Online Self
- Navigate to this Padlet
- Double click to contribute to the Padlet
- Write about the differences between yourself in person and your online self. (Feel free to add supporting images or even drawings to support).
- Consider the perspectives of your students- How might they respond?
Different Mediums Different Messages
Activity: Social Media Research
2. Pick an app/website to explore further and respond to the following prompts
- Who is on it today?
- What do they use it for?
- What are potential dangers?
- What are potential benefits?
- Why do you think students are or are not drawn to it?
3. Share out