May 23rd, 2016
Good afternoon! Thanks for reading and for all your great work.
1. Finish your grade checks
2. Support with summer registration
3. <select advisors> Monitor your student's portfolio confirmations
- Grade Appeals: Please remember grade appeals should only be advised if the case truly fits the requirements of an appeal. IN GENERAL WE SHOULD AVOID APPEALS - they are truly a last resort. Here is the key piece of the policy to keep in mind:
consideration of a grade appeal is limited to an evaluation of whether or not the grade awarded was determined in accordance with the policies/standards outlined in the course syllabus.
- Summer Electives: At this point, I believe we are down to only a few remaining seats. Robyn & Brent's students are the only ones with classes actually on their plans. For everyone else, the summer is a chance to get ahead or catch up. That said, once they fill, they're full and that's it. The registration emails from the start included this line, "Elective classes fill up quickly and additional sections may not be available, therefore, please register as soon as possible." so this should not be a surprise, but we all know that for some students it will be. If you have students upset about summer, please use this type of messaging (can be in your own language/tone, but wanted to give you something in case it's helpful):
Thanks for reaching out about summer electives. Every semester a certain number of courses are offered and available on a first come, first serve basis. Decisions around how many courses to offer is based on program plans and past enrollment, and it is never guaranteed that you will have a seat. Since summer is full, I'd love to chat about your plan for fall so we can ensure you are ready to register right when the window opens on July 5th.
- Robyn & Brent: After May 31st, when summer registration closes, please email all your students that needed an elective but did not get one to ensure they know how it effects their program plan and make sure you are aligned on when they will make up the course.
- Summer course dates: For your reference the dates of the summer session are listed here:
June 1 – July 12: Summer Session 1
July 18 – August 2: Summer Session 2
- June 3rd Advisor Office Hours cancelled. Sorry to have to cancel, but I'll be on a flight at this time. I will have office hours on Tuesday, May 31st still so there will be one time that week.
- Student Flags: as we wait for Starfish to come online, Sagirah is tracking student flags in a spreadsheet. If you have flags on students you would like to have recorded with the program, please email them to Sagirah at firstname.lastname@example.org. Flags can be for anything that seems alarming - i.e. professionalism, violation of academic conduct, difficult situation at their school or in their personal life, someone that seems require substantially more time than others, etc.
- Graduation deadline reminder for August 2016: For any students that are planning to graduate in August, the deadline to apply for summer graduation is May 27, 2016.
Advisee Facing Items
- Job opportunities to share with your advisees and networks: One of our instructors, Phyllis Lerner, has been working closely with Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda. They have two open positions that may be really wonderful for some of our current or soon-to-be graduates and/or your colleagues, friends, etc. with flexible schedules. The positions run from Dec 2016-Dec 2017. The two job descriptions can be found here.