A Weekly Look at Grant Elementary School & the Grant PTA
Week of January 7, 2019
The Power of Yet- Nurturing the Growth Mindset
Here at Grant, we are always looking for approaches to support our students (and ourselves) to learn and persevere, even when things are difficult and require a strong effort. In each of our classrooms, teachers have created a culture where challenges are embraced and students are celebrated for their willingness to keep trying, even when tasks and concepts do not come easily. In doing so, they are transforming the meaning of effort and difficulty for their students.
Professor Carol Dweck of Stanford University has done research that focuses on the idea of a "Growth Mindset." In this mindset, the hand you're dealt is just the starting point for development. This growth mindset is based on the belief that your basic qualities are things you can cultivate through your efforts and that changing our beliefs can have a powerful impact on our learning and experience of life. I have included one of my favorite videos of Professor Dweck speaking about her work accompanied by illustrations.
Grant Performing Arts Auditions 1/18
Grant Performing Arts Auditions 1/18
Grant welcomes Donnie Frank to the Directors seat this year! Donnie also runs the Performing Arts Program at McNear and works for Cinnabar Theatre. Students in grades 1-6 are invited to participate in 'Adventures in Wonderland', but only students in grades 3-6 must audition.
*The Casting Call will be held on Friday, January 18 afterschool.
Additional information and registration forms are coming.
*We are looking for additional adults to assist with the rehearsal and performance process, please contact if Donnie at firstname.lastname@example.org if you're interested.
Reminder about Electronics at School
New Available Grant Tour Dates!
Second Chance Breakfast!
Now is the Time - Registration is Open & Classes Start Soon!
- We are disappointed to announce the Pop Star Choir class scheduled to begin in January has been CANCELLED due to low enrollment. If you enrolled your child, you should have received an email letting you know of the cancellation. Think you might be interested if the class was offered in the future, or just forgot to sign up for the class? Email Maryann Pacheco email@example.com and we will create a waitlist to possibly offer the class in early Spring.
- Mock Trial / Debate for 4th through 6th-grade class is scheduled to begin January 15th on Tuesdays and is IN DANGER of being cancelled due to low enrollment. This is a great new offering, with a new provider who is excited to bring this and more classes to Grant! Please consider signing up at https://www.parker-anderson.org/index.php/site/enrichment (click on Sign Up on right hand side of page). Know someone at one of our sister schools in 4th-6th grade who might like this class? Spread the word - we are glad to have them! Class starts at 3:30.
- The below classes are still Open for registration for January start dates! Sign up TODAY to get your spot:
- Art with the Masters on Mondays available to grades Kinder through 3rd. To register, login at: www.ArtandSoulSchool.com and sign-up under Grant Elementary School.
- Jurassic Dino World on Tuesdays for Grades 1st through 3rd grades; register at https://www.parker-anderson.org/index.php/site/enrichment
- Piano Lessons on Tuesdays available to grades Kinder through 6th Register at www. MozartPianoLearning.com.
- Engineering with Legos: STEM Challenge on Thursdays for 1st through 3rd grade. Register at https://play-well-registration.com/registration/new/75509
- Martial Arts on Thursdays for Kinder to 6th grade. Register at www.SchafersATA.com/programs/after-school-programs/
- Hand Sewing with Sally on Fridays; available to Kinder through 6th grade. To register email Sally Palmer firstname.lastname@example.org
Grant Year Books Now On Sale!
Ring in the New Year with the Yearbook Cover Art Contest! The winner(s) will be chosen by teachers and staff
and their artwork will be used for the COVER and back cover of 2018-19 Grant Elementary Yearbook!
THEME: What makes Grant Elementary great to you!
-Create an art piece on a 8.5x11” standard size paper
-Your name and grade must be on the back
-pencils, pens, markers, paints, crayons can be used
-Hand drawn, photography or graphics can be used
Due Date: February 14, 2019, Valentine’s Day
Hand in your submission anytime at the front desk at the office
Yearbook art contest folder
*To Purchase and customize your Grant yearbook
- Go to www.treering.com/validate
- ENTER Grant’s PASSCODE: 1015022997383930
Important Upcoming Dates
January 8 Return from Winter Break & Performing Arts Kickoff
January 21 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr Day - NO SCHOOL
January 25 PTA Family Movie Night
January 28-Feb. 3 Adopt a Book
January 30 Chorus Festival (5th & 6th Grades)
February 4-8 6th Grade Camp
February 7-8 4th Grade Coloma/Gold Rush
February 11 Lincoln's Holiday - NO SCHOOL
February 18 Washington's Holiday - NO SCHOOL
February 23 Lucky Ladies Sweetheart Ball at the Hotel Petaluma Ballroom
February 25-Mar. 1 Read Across America
February 25-Mar. 1 Conference Week - Wednesday Schedule All Week
In the Thank You Column:
- Our thanks to Mountain Mike's Pizza for the 3-day Dine & Donate event! Thanks to everyone who participated!
- Thank you to Jennifer Reich for stepping in to handle the Grant Auction!
- Big thank you to Kimberley Murillo for taking on Lost and Found duties this year.