Books! Gadgets! Fun!
April is such an AWESOME month for the library! There is so much to celebrate! It is National School Library Month, National Poetry Month, Poem in Your Pocket Day is this month, we will participate in Meet @ Main later in the month AND we have our author visit! Read the newsletter to find out everything you need to know about the activities happening this month...and even a little sneak peek into May!
Please let us know what we can help you with!
Valerie Byrd Fort, Sarah Sheely, Karen Gobbi, and Brenda Burkett
AUTHOR VISIT! Jarrett J. Krosoczka!
We are so excited that JJK will be here on Wednesday, April 5!
He will do a book signing in the morning and two large group presentations:
Book Signing in Learning Commons 7:30 - 8am
K - 2 grade 8:15 - 9am in Cafeteria
3 - 5 grade 9:15 - 10am in Cafeteria
If a student ordered a book, they will get it the day of Jarrett's visit. He writes and illustrates picture books (Punk Farm, Baghead), graphic novels (Lunch Lady), and chapter books (Platypus Police Squad, Jedi Academy)! Please be sure to give him a WARM WELCOME!
National School Library Month!
National Poetry Month and Poem in Your Pocket Day!
Here are some excellent poetry resources to visit this month!
- Materials for Teachers from poets.org - https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/materials-teachers
- 10 Ways to Use Poetry in your Classroom from Reading Rockets - http://www.readingrockets.org/article/10-ways-use-poetry-your-classroom
- Scholastic Resources - http://teacher.scholastic.com/poetry/
South Carolina Book Award WINNERS!
Digital Learning Corner!
* What's your favorite Easter candy? Use the Excel spreadsheet with your students before spring break! Good for practice reading a graph and analyzing data!
* April is Poetry Month - Try the "Magnetic Poetry Board" - fun to use with SMART Board! Use Read, Write, Think to introduce your students to a variety of poetic forms: theme poems, acrostic, diamante, etc.
* Write a "Spring Cinquain"- a five line poem. Begin with words such as butterfly, caterpillar, daffodil, robin, etc. - Download the template!
* Journey North - Hummingbirds (and more) - Excellent photos and informational text. Encourage your students to read about their favorite!
* Butterflies - Many good resources to explore - All About Butterflies, Life Cycle, How Far Can Butterflies Fly?, etc.
* Plants/Flowers - Students would love "The Great Plant Escape", "Adventures of Herman the Worm", "Plants in Motion", lesson ideas from Education World, etc.
FYI! So far this school year, we have featured the following technology standards for computer lab instruction:
September - Digital Citizenship/Basic Login Skills/Keyboarding
October - Word Processing Month (MS Word or Google Docs)
November - Spreadsheet Month (MS Excel or Google Sheets)
December - Drawing Tool Month (MS Paint)
January - Presentation Month (MS PowerPoint or Google Slides)
February - Review Word Processing and Spreadsheets
March - REVIEW
FYI! 2017 Blowfish Baseball Reading Program
Lexington County Blowfish Reading Rewards Program - coming in MAY!
All students are encouraged to read four books during the month of May - you may do this in the classroom and count read alouds and books you are reading together as a class or you can encourage students to read books at home with their family! Up to you! As students read, they can earn prizes:
- One Book - one free general admission ticket to the June 5th Blowfish home game
- Two Books - two free general admission tickets to the June 5th game
- Three Books - two free general admission tickets to the June 5th game and participation in the Reading Program Parade during pregame activities
- Four Books - two free general admission tickets to the June 5th game, participating in the parade, and a free Blowie Snowie Shaved Ice at the game!
A letter for parents and a reading log will be sent home the week of April 24...students and teachers will receive tickets at the end of the school year!
Important details to remember!
- The program runs from May 1 - May 26th.
- NPES Night with the Blowfish is June 5th - SAVE THE DATE! Mrs. Byrd Fort will be throwing out the first pitch...you don't want to miss it!
Makerspace Moments are Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 1:30pm in the Learning Commons! You can send students in small groups, or we can schedule a whole class visit - just let me know what you would like to do!
April, May, June Events!
Jarrett Krosoczka author visit - April 5
Lion Cub Storytime - April 7
Meet @ Main - Lexington County Public Library Main Branch - April 25
Poem in Your Pocket Day - April 27
EdVenture Maker Faire - April 29
Lexington County Blowfish Reading Program - May
Star Wars READS Day (postponed from October) - May 4
Last day for student library book check out - May 12
All student library books due - May 19
Spring Book Fair - May 15 - May 19
NPES Night with the Blowfish - June 5
LifeSkills & Lifelong Guidelines SPOTLIGHT!
In March, we focus on NO PUT DOWNS, SENSE OF HUMOR, and CARING!
There is a display of books when you enter the Learning Commons - CHECK IT OUT!
I also add links and resources to our shared document available here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NFsEIehMDFzjrxnwBPpJsen3KBnIgTe4EHJwA2nJLC8/edit
Please feel free to add your own resources for all to see!